free website stats program Back firing through air cleaner | Harley Davidson Forums

Back firing through air cleaner

david26

having some issues with my 09 super glide with 19000 miles on it back firing threw the air cleaner when i start it up acts like it gonna start then get a little poof and a hays of smoke out the air cleaner . donst do it every time but is starting to do it more and more often.. Have had the dealership check it out 3 times and each time they say they cant find anything. It isnt showing any codes and they cant find any intake leaks plus of corse it starts up fine for them. It started doin it when every thing was still stock. since then i have changed to vance hines short shots a zipper air cleaner and a power comander 3 and tried a couple diff maps and still getting the same thing about every 10 to 15th time i fire it up usally when it cold but not always. Have also chaged the spark plugs witch still look nice and clean after 1000 miles on them. gonna get it dyno tuned soon as i get a little extra cash.

Thanks
Dave

No doubt the popping back through the AC is a direct cause of mixture problems or something leaning it out like an intake leak that you checked already.

Sometimes you inadvertently turn the throttle and that will change the start up parameters on a FI bike. Try starting it without touching the throttle.

Thanks to both of yall for the quik reply. The starter thing sounds like somthin i might want to look into as well when i get it tuned. On hot day 90+ days when i ride for a good distance and kill it to get gas or run in the store/bar for a bit and come back to start it up every once in a long time it will ack like the starter anit got enough power to kick the the motor over it always does but that fist crank is real long and week.

Thanks agian
Dave

Remove, clean and reinstall your battery terminal connections (neg. off first and on last) - both ends.

TQ

Dont know if it has 2 do with the same thing but i have noticed my front cylinder run rich on start up. Every once in awhile i will get a small buff of black smoke out of the front cylinders pipe when i fire it up and if i pull the plug right after starting it will have the black soot on it take of and ride 15 miles or so and gthe plug is once agian nice and clean.

No doubt the popping back through the AC is a direct cause of mixture problems or something leaning it out like an intake leak that you checked already.

Sometimes you inadvertently turn the throttle and that will change the start up parameters on a FI bike. Try starting it without touching the throttle.

I think Glider has a good point here. My 06 Heritage would do that on startup on occassion but when I stopped messing with the throttle before starting it stoppped. Try it and see if it works for you.

Hey David, I know this Thread & back firing through your Dyna's Air-cleaner is very old....but I'm experiencing the exact same thing w/my 2012 FLHX ! Even down to how it has a hard start, and popping out air-cleaner & even back-firing once in a while after killing it & letting it sit while I get gas or run into a store for a few minutes. It'll hard start anytime, hot or cold, but seems to do it more when hot. Then, like you said, after sitting while I get gas, and try & start it again, the starter seems to BARELY turn the motor over, even stopping, and then turning the engine over, to only not start, and popping out Air-cleaner again ! And it IS NOT MY BATERY, CABLES< CONNECTIONS, or THE STARTER ! THEY'RE ALL GOOD ! So, did you get to the bottom of your scoots hard start issue !?? Please share !!!!!!! Thanks man !

Hey David, I know this Thread & back firing through your Dyna's Air-cleaner is very old....but I'm experiencing the exact same thing w/my 2012 FLHX ! Even down to how it has a hard start, and popping out air-cleaner & even back-firing once in a while after killing it & letting it sit while I get gas or run into a store for a few minutes. It'll hard start anytime, hot or cold, but seems to do it more when hot. Then, like you said, after sitting while I get gas, and try & start it again, the starter seems to BARELY turn the motor over, even stopping, and then turning the engine over, to only not start, and popping out Air-cleaner again ! And it IS NOT MY BATERY, CABLES< CONNECTIONS, or THE STARTER ! THEY'RE ALL GOOD ! So, did you get to the bottom of your scoots hard start issue !?? Please share !!!!!!! Thanks man !
Start here
http://www.hdtimeline.com/threads/2004-2015-harley-trouble-codes.59311/
Typically most of these problems can be traced down to an air leak or timing issue

Check the electric automatic compression release connections. Should be a connection right near the base of the fuel tank. When they dont work that battery and starter can take a real beating. You may need a wiring diagram for your year or just find the wires from the CR's and follow them back...

Back