free website stats program Auxillary connection | Harley Davidson Forums

Auxillary connection

firefighter557

Just bought my first Harley and can't figure out why I waited so long. Want to install a charging port for my phone, but have no clue as to where to connect it. Isn't there a spare connector somewhere?

Im not sure on your model but on my RKC its zip tied to the frame just under the seat. Congrats and welcome the club and the forum

Thanks for the info and the welcome. Just bought a 2008 Heritage softail Classic. Rode a Honda Valkyrie up to this point. Love the feel and handling of the machine. Only wished I had made the move sooner.

Everyone starts somewhere but almost everyone ends here. (on a Harley). Theres just nothing else like it out there. his site will come in handy for any add ons or mods you decide to do. you'll save a ton by doing it yourself with the help of this site.

Thank you for your help and info. It's great to have a site like this. Most everything on bike is stock, so will be doing some modifications as $$$ allows. Already changed mufflers, and added engine guards. But needed the charging port for phone, ngps, etc. Planning on making rolling thunder ride memorial day weekend. And want this add-on done.

No offense but if you have to ask how or where to put a port in for the phone, or any accessory for that matter, and you need it done soon (and right), you are best off to either have a dealer and or an independent mechanic install this for you. If you mess up an electrical job, it can cause you SO many problems.
But, if you really want to do it yourself, go buy an accesory jack (lighter plug) with a mounting plate, a fuseable link (very important) and some connectors to hook it directly into the battery. A few small rolls of stranded wire, and from there you have to kind of figure the best way to mount the plate (outlet) and run the wire.

Welcome to the forum.
Best thing you can buy is a HD service manual for your bike. Will pay for it self very quickly (can find on e-bay less than the $60 at dealer).

Also use the self-help section on forum for great tips. Many of your questions are already answered in this section.
Did a search for you and this is what I found. Hope it helps.

Accessory Connector Plug - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

If you want to throw the phone in the saddle bag you can buy the car type recepticle at Radio Shack and if you buy a battery tender some come with a set of clamps attached to an extra pig tail. You could cut off the clamps and attach the pig tail to the recep. This is assuming you found the charging pig tail under the side of the seat.

I actually did what Dr.Evil outlined previously for my Tom-Tom GPS using H-D accessory plug for about $19...for the 12V Accessory Socket with cover. Kuryakyn also sells a Power Point receptacle for about $60 which is more "sano", and is easily wired to the battery tender plug (the exposed contact is negative, the receptacle contact is positive and protected by an inline 7.5A fuse that should go to the positive center conductor 12V receptacle (the shell is negative ground). :D

DSCN0788-1.jpg

Back