free website stats program Arrgghhh | Harley Davidson Forums

Arrgghhh

hdiggity

Hello all, I was changing my grips this morning and dropped the torx wrench on my tank and put a good chip in the paint. I'm so mad at myself for not covering it up while I was working on it. My tank and rear fender had some small chips in it when I bought it but now this one stands out because I can see when I look down. Any thoughts on these touch up bottles you can buy or should I just take it to somebody to have it fixed.

Hdiggity

I know harley sell a color match kit comes with the touch up paint and clear coat but it is god awful expesive u prob get the same thing at the auto parts store for a lot less I am sure u could do a good enough job with a touch up paint so others would be able to notice it but iam sure u would still be able to tell just cause u know about it but it would help keep the evil rust away.

Well the good news HD does sell matching paints...by OEM paint suppliers. Here are some paint codes and descriptions to help you along:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/general_tips/14240-harley_paint_codes.html

Use the Search tab near the top of the page and type in keywords...to find how to sand, level, sand, feather and repeat...with final layers of clear coat. Oft times the "ding" does not damage the base color coats, so simple sanding, leveling and clear coating may be all that is necessary. Steve07 and WhatYardWork both know paint and have several threads between them to help show you how it is done. :D

OOOOh.. that (EDIT) ...I thought I was the only one who did stuff like that. I know it would drive me crazy, thats all I would see every time I looked at my bike.. but thats just me.I have a scuff on my saddle bag lid, you can't even realy see it, but I know it's there and it drives me crazy..touch it up and ride the living heck out of it.......:D

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried a HD touch up kit with the clear coat but I couldn't get it on very smooth so it still shows up. Perfect color match but rough finnish. Could be just me though, paint and I don't get along very well.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone, I will look into some of those ideas.

Hdiggity

Usually when I go to a big event for Harley gatherings, There are Vendors who can do a little art work, not costing much , to personalize your bike a little... I would bet a matching of a tattoo you Might have or a bug,bone, star, ,,, You get the idea....

Hate when I slip and the tool makes and leaves a mark...:small3d023:

signed....BUBBIE

I like the cover up art idea , I did scrath my tank once the same way , now I put a towel over the tank when ever I do anything...

I like the cover up art idea , I did scrath my tank once the same way , now I put a towel over the tank when ever I do anything...

If you go for the Cover Art Work, YOU will be the only one that Has to Know "Why"....

Believe me, You and the Others will admire that Art Work on the tank and fender, but YOU'LL Never Forget WHY it is there.(.)

signed....BUBBIE

I did the same thing recently. Took it to the place that repairs my cars. In twenty minutes the paint shop guy got rid of the scratch. Can't tell it's there. Suggest you find a pro.
WAP.gif

Back