free website stats program Arlen Ness big sucker or SE Stage 1 AC | Harley Davidson Forums

Arlen Ness big sucker or SE Stage 1 AC

roadking01

Contributor
I ordered the SE stage 1 AC from my local HD dealer Sept 25th. they told me then that HD had it on back order scheduled for release on 10/4, I thought no biggie I have to wait a week, 10/4 came and went I checked with the dealer and was told that the release date had been moved out but couldn't give me an exact date. since then i've checked periodically and still no firm release date, today the dealer called to let me know that the release date had been set to December something or other, because the date keeps moving out they asked me if I was interested in getting an Arlen Ness big sucker instead they could get it from Drag Specialties and might save me a few bucks.
I've read some posts here stating that the backing plate in the Arlen Ness has a tendency to break. Now my question is, should I wait for the SE stage 1 or go with the Arlen Ness?

I agree, I have the Arlen Ness, and have had no problems. Don't expect any either. I'm not sure if the HD part would have a chrome backing plate??? if that matters to you.

I have used both on different bikes and the se unit is a better one, but then I switched to the HD Heavy Breather and like it best.

I have used both on different bikes and the se unit is a better one, but then I switched to the HD Heavy Breather and like it best.

wildman9, which SE breather gives you better leg clearance? Just curious as my setup rubs against my right leg if I hug the tank while corning and wonder if the Heavy Breather setup might eliminate that issue some. BTW I am whopping 5'8".

I got mine from Fuel Moto as well and no problems. Plus it comes with a K&N filter which is reusable. You can keep the OEM cover if you wish.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I get a good discount from my dealer so I prefer to get it from them, I hate to wait that long for the SE one, on the other hand I hate to get the big sucker and have it break, I ride 100 miles everyday so I need something that's going to last.

Tank, did yours break during installation or due to engine vibration?

Thanks again for the feedback, I think I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow and have them order the big sucker for me and make sure to follow your advise and make sure the first thing out of the tool box is the torque wrench when I get it.

I have the Harley, Heavy Breather on my EG and have never had a problem with it and it puts out good numbers on the dyno. My best friend installed the Ness, Big Sucker on is EG and although the numbers where good they where not as good as mine. The real test came after riding the bikes over time. I have not had any problems with my Heavy Breather but, my friend had his Big Scker fall off while driving down the highway. The only thing that saved it was he managed to pin it to the motor with his leg. After careful inspection it was noted that the unit is very heavy and the bolts failed. After contacting Ness they replaced the bolts and specified the proper torque values (which was completed on the first install). After re-attaching the Big Sucker with the proper torque values the bike seemed to run fine, but again after only about 2100 miles the bolts broke again. He now has a SE Heavy Breather and he claims the bike actually runs better with it. As a side note he had to have the bike re-mapped for the change in air filter. Good luck in what ever you choose.

wildman9, which SE breather gives you better leg clearance? Just curious as my setup rubs against my right leg if I hug the tank while corning and wonder if the Heavy Breather setup might eliminate that issue some. BTW I am whopping 5'8".

Here's a picture of the one I use, never a problem with clearance

Attachments

• heavybreather.jpg
    heavybreather.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 35
Back