free website stats program Arlen Ness Big Sucker on a 1200N | Harley Davidson Forums

Arlen Ness Big Sucker on a 1200N

So I dropped some Rush 2.0 slip ons last week. Didn't remap the EFI (which I am trying to avoid doing due to the high cost). Next I want to put a Arlen Ness Big Sucker on. (I hate the ham can look)

I talked to a mechanic this week and he said that the EFI in the newer Sportsters will adjust itself as long as you don't replace past the 02 sensor, which I am not. He said I can put the BS on it no problem.

My question, is has anyone done this? And if so what are the results? I have read that the efi in the sportsters does readjust itself when it sense less back pressure and more airflow and I have had a few mechanics tell me I don't and a few tell me I do. So which is it?

Last edited:
From what ive read he fuel injection can correct itself for weather and things of that nature but not performance mods and i think most people on the forum will prolly agree.

You can just barely squeeze by with the slip ons but the intake will cause you a problem if you run it like that. You better not listen to the guy that told you that you can do it. The 02 sensors are a narrow band and cannot adjust enough for both the intake and exhaust. You are only kidding yourself if you think you can run it like that and engine damage will follow. Spend the $$$ and do it right otherwise go back to stock.

I put on a set of 1.75 Rush slipons on my 07 883L about a thousand miles ago. I have yet to have a pop on acel or decel. The plugs look like they did with the stock mufflers. The shop here in Mobile, Al & Rush told me as long as I keep the stock air cleaner that I would be ok. So far so good. The bike runs great. If you go to the big sucker and the plugs don't get real white on the tips and you don't have any popping while you ride you should be ok. If you could borrow a less restrictive air cleaner and run it for a few hundred miles and see how it reacts.I love the ham can. It makes a Sporty a Sporty.

The shop here in Mobile, Al & Rush told me as long as I keep the stock air cleaner that I would be ok. So far so good. The bike runs great. If you go to the big sucker and the plugs don't get real white on the tips and you don't have any popping while you ride you should be ok.

Your statement contradicts itself here.

You are looking for trouble running the big sucker with no fuel enrichment.
The 02 sensors WILL NOT adjust enough because they are narrow band and you will end up doing damage from a lean mixture. Why do you think the dealers want to do the stage 1 download when the install the stage 1 intake on a bike ?
Most any plug in the new bikes will be white on the tip. Change brands of fuel and watch for different results if you see a tan or brown on your insulator now. The colors you are seeing are basically from the additive packages in the fuel. After the removal of the tetra ethyl lead from the fuel years back, you rarely see any color that isn't from the additives.
If you have a dyno tune done on your bike the AFR from the run will verify what I have told you here.

There's no short cuts when it comes to these FI motors, the old saying applies here, we'll get you now or we'll get you later. Do it right the first time and you will be happy with the results.

After I put a set of Vance and Hines shorties, and the Big Suker on mine, it ran okay, not good, just okay.

Then after installing a power commander, and setting the correct fuel/air ratio using a preconfigured map.

Wholly crap, it actually felt like different bike!

definately worth the extra

DMCLAND

Back