free website stats program any one having problems with road king windshields cracking? | Harley Davidson Forums

any one having problems with road king windshields cracking?

The stock RKC windshield has rubber stripes between the supports, also the acorn nuts have a minimal torque spec. If they are overtightened you may see some distortion in the metal. Use some loctite during reassembly. My '07 hasn't experienced any cracks.

Where are your cracks originating?

Is this an original windsheild?

Are the rubber stripes in place?

Good luck.

I'll bet it starts at the bolt hole. If the shield has been replaced, it's important to get the braces centered over the holes in the shield or they are prone to cracking the shield when the bolt contacts the shield.

You can stop the crack if it is small or just starting using a dremel tool and running it around the circumference of the hole to enlarge it just a bit and it also melts the area where the crack started to stop any further migration.

Make sure not to over tighten the bolts and as mentioned above, blue locktite on the nuts.

the crack is coming from the far left hand mounting bolt, same bolt both times. harley replaced the first one, brackets and all , it came assembled.this time harley is saying the won't replace it, using the excuse of over tork on the center bolt which has a windshield bag mounted to it by me. according to the mounting instructions and the factory shop manual the tork spec is 20-25 inch pounds,I folllowed the instructions to the "T".

You may have already checked for this, any kind of burr on the bracket can also cause the winbshield to crack. A friend had the same problem and after two replacements ( by the dealer/hd) got the same message from the moco. He kept the pressure on with the dealer and hd. Then he discovered the burr. I think the dealer covered the last replacement. No problems since.

Thanks for all your replys, I haven't checked for burrs but I certainly will. I glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem,as I suspected. And I'll definitly keep up the pressure on the Factory.I'll post the results. Thanks again!

my 2009 shield cracked within 1 month. same place on both sides. a little star eminating out of the hole adjacent to where the windshield has its bend. H-D sent a new piece of plastic and the dealer replaced it.

good news! harley finally decided to replace the windshield, saying it's a one time deal.

I picked up my new windshield today, after months of not giving up. With the incouragement of this forum. I guess the point is, Don't give up on warranty problems if you know your right! After all that what thier hoping you do so they can save the company $. It's a shame it has to be like that! Call me old school, but I'm not giving up on True craftsmenship,Pride and fixing things that aren't right. If it's your fault Man up! If it's not make them Man up! Because as we've seen over and over they won't do it on thier own.

Back