free website stats program Antenna ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Antenna ?

tande

I have a O8 FLHTCU I would like to change antenna's who makes the best short antenna's .I don't want to lose reception.

Welcome to the Forum.
Well I was going to try and pase in a link to previous thread but I don't know how. If you use the search box at the top and put in "Short Antenna" There are a couple of threasds out there already. Different guys have tried different things. There are replacements from J & M, Raido Shack and of course HD made them standard on the 09
I have an 08 also but I like the long look.

For others who don't mind their reception dropping a little, I have used a $8 AM/FM antenna from O'Reilly's and zip tied it under the radio in the fairing. Then I had no visible antenna at all. This was very convienient with a detachable Tour-Pak. I would estimate my FM reception at about 60% of what it was with full lenght antenna. I usually use Sat. radio, so I didn't mind.

What did you use to fill the holes?

Not sure which holes you are refering to, but the TP has grommets that all but close the holes up. The left side still has wires going through it. If you are asking about the studs the masts normally attach to, I just left them as studs. I didn't run with the TP on much, anyway. Does that cover it, or did I miss something?

That about covers it. Thanks, Lew!

For others who don't mind their reception dropping a little, I have used a $8 AM/FM antenna from O'Reilly's and zip tied it under the radio in the fairing. Then I had no visible antenna at all. This was very convienient with a detachable Tour-Pak. I would estimate my FM reception at about 60% of what it was with full lenght antenna. I usually use Sat. radio, so I didn't mind.

If you want to gain the rest of your reception back without adding an antenna you can use an antenna amplifier from any 80's or 90's Volvo.They used a wire encapsulated in a flat piece of tin and located it in the rear bumper on the right rear.All thats required is plug modification.Any junk yard will probably give it to you as they wont even know what it is.

I put the ones from HD on mine (under $35 for the pair) and they have worked great. I have not tried the CB yet, but I am hoping that it will be fine.

Back