free website stats program Andrews gear driven cams | Harley Davidson Forums

Andrews gear driven cams

Roklock

Been looking at doing a 103 kit this winter. Talked with a shop today (not HD) and they were recommending going away from a chain driven cam to a gear driven cam. They also were recommending Andrews.

Thoughts? This shop was not a fan of the tensioner shoe for the chain driven cams? Is it worth the little extra now while they have everything out?

Thanks,

Steve

Been looking at doing a 103 kit this winter. Talked with a shop today (not HD) and they were recommending going away from a chain driven cam to a gear driven cam. They also were recommending Andrews.

Thoughts? This shop was not a fan of the tensioner shoe for the chain driven cams? Is it worth the little extra now while they have everything out?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve, the short answer is YES!!!! I did it on my old bike and will be doing it on the 09 as soon as it is out of warranty. It is all about peace of mind. The new bikes are hydraulic so they are not as troublesome as the older ones but really, I'm not a fan. I've seen the latest tensioners with too much wear on them already. Gear drive is bullet proof if you have a good tech doing the job.

I liked the Andrews 26G cams and they are brilliant for a tourer. Lotsa torque!!

Cheers

Neil

Have approximately 52K miles on my gear drive setup (Andrews37G cams, S&S gear drive) with no issues, and I love that slight gear drive whine.....The new roller chain set up is sweet, really quiet, and about the same price to swap out----

Steve,

I am in the same boat as I am looking at alternatives for my 04 RK. I have read a bunch about the topic (and stayed at a holiday inn express recently). The gears sound great but there is the question of crank runout. You did not mention the year of your bike, but it is a well documented fact that some cranks have enough runout to eliminate themselves for gears.

I think I will be going with chains when I do mine.

Take care and ride safe.
Jeff

Back