free website stats program andrews 26 cam in 95 build | Page 15 | Harley Davidson Forums

andrews 26 cam in 95 build

Dial indicator set up against gears, rotate forward and back plus or minus and split the difference

Thanks Jack . I get it now . I should check Youtube.
so you split the diffrence so lets say pushing the one gear back and forth . One way i get .001 and the other way I get .0005. the split difrence would be 0.0005 or 0.00025 ?
Thanks F.K.

Jack,
I don't think you split the difference. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the backlash is the whole dimension.

TIR total indicator reading, to be precise run forward stop run back add divide by 2 for TIR or just check per your way it does not matter a whole lot unless you want to be 100 percent JMO

TIR total indicator reading, to be precise run forward stop run back add divide by 2 for TIR or just check per your way it does not matter a whole lot unless you want to be 100 percent JMO

backlash.jpg

Jack, are we talking about the same thing? I'm confused with the dividing thing.

Yeah, pretty much either way will get yo your reading, the TIR divide by 2 is a bit too precise for most it is more for critical lay out work:D

Brother Jack, Brother Jack,

If you are indicating your pinion shaft and you are at .006 Total Indicator Reading you then divide by 2 to get .003 run out per side from the axis.

BUT nobody is asking for run out.

Bottom line is if they are asking for T.I.R dimension you don't divide it by two,
TIR is TIR.

The conversation was about measuring back lash in the gears. Keeping the pinion gear stationary, put a indicator on a tooth of the cam gear, rotate the cam gear and the reading on the indicator is the back lash. Again, no dividing.

Don't want to get into a spitting match here, but facts be facts :s

Photo of how to measure outer lash is attached. The setup is typical setup, there are other ways but the main thing is a solid mount for the indicator and the right angle of the indicator tip to the gear tooth. Rotate the cam gear and read the dial indicator; that's the lash.

Or, use Plastigage and run it through the pinion and cam gear.

It's not rocket science guys.

Attachments

• outer lash.jpg
    outer lash.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 7
Photo of how to measure outer lash is attached. The setup is typical setup, there are other ways but the main thing is a solid mount for the indicator and the right angle of the indicator tip to the gear tooth. Rotate the cam gear and read the dial indicator; that's the lash.

Or, use Plastigage and run it through the pinion and cam gear.

It's not rocket science guys.

I think I will check both ways . I like the plasta gage idea

Thanks again all F.K.

Brother Jack, Brother Jack,

If you are indicating your pinion shaft and you are at .006 Total Indicator Reading you then divide by 2 to get .003 run out per side from the axis.

BUT nobody is asking for run out.

Bottom line is if they are asking for T.I.R dimension you don't divide it by two,
TIR is TIR.

The conversation was about measuring back lash in the gears. Keeping the pinion gear stationary, put a indicator on a tooth of the cam gear, rotate the cam gear and the reading on the indicator is the back lash. Again, no dividing.

Don't want to get into a spitting match here, but facts be facts :s

My total run out is .003 so I divide this by 2. so my Runout is actualy 0.0015?

F.K.

Back