free website stats program An Observasion | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

An Observasion

I agree with Wayne R...Ride what pleases you. In the early 70's, when a few friends and I 'chopped' our bikes they all went with hardtails, I chopped a 65 panhead (what was I thinking???) I left the shocks on a little different then most but to me the ride was worth it! I remember most riders used sunglasses, even at night never used clear lenses, would just not wear glasses instead. 5 Harleys later and I still love my windshield, now days it on my Crossbones but still need the loud pipes. Smitty901... I had a few of those 4 tracks, we found gold when the 8 tracks came out, but I bet alot of people don't know what they are or even looked like, hahaha

Pretty sad how bad sonic clarity was back then...it reached the peak with the casette...up to 120 minutes of then tape with hiss, audio dropouts, sticky and jamming tapes. A whole industry brought to bear on the problem...Dolby, metal tape, pre-emphesis...man it was just all bad. Now we have CD's, no one making money including the artist...hey pay per play/download ahhh everyone wins except the listener, who has to pay everytime he downloads or subscribes...CD's & DVD albums are the end of the line...for "saved libraries"...better save up. Probably the last time you will get analog to digital clarity en mass. JMO

Last edited:
I used to ride solo everywhere and the comfort for a passenger was of little consequence for me as I never went very far or long two-up. Of course marriage, and the resulting "togetherness" meant my SO was spending more time in the saddle as I wasn't that interested in going alone anymore. Therefore, the passenger's comfort did become an issue, especially since with more free time as the kids grew nd left the nest we could drift further and further from home base. So, the Softail Custom and Sportster went back to HD as a trade-in for the Ultra Classic. Quite frankly, I haven't regretted it one bit. It's comfortable, got lots of storage when I take trips, has music, rides like a dream and gets pretty good gas mileage. The fairing and the windshield are just comfort features that aid me in riding a long way without suffering too many effects of fatigue and buffeting. I'd say we started the trend when we quit being "bar hoppers" and really started touring. The fairings, windshields and other features made the bike a much more practical and comfortable travel machine instead of a "nut crusher."

Very interesting thread. I'm getting old enough, like others here have said, that I enjoy the comfort of faried bike, but if I had the money I'd have a second bike that would be a little smaller and unfaired for those short rides on hot days or just when I'd like a change. Dare I say it...maybe something other than an HD. I had read that the Suzuki V-Strom or the Kawasaki KLR 650 are a ton of fun for not tons of money. Then again, a Fatboy would scratch that itch too. Good thing I can only afford one I guess.

Back