Ambient tempurature and grip glue

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by mnultra, Feb 25, 2011.

1. mnultra

mnultra Active Member

I just recieved my new ISO grips (They finally offer them in all black :small3d026:) and would like to install them, but it's cold!! The garage stays about 35 degrees but I can't find anything on the grip glue (Black Widow is the name brand) that gives me a tempurature range. I know that the cure time would be increased but I've got a month before I head to AZ so that's no problem. I just don't want to have to install them once I get there.

Thoughts or opinions? I checked the manufacture web site and still came up empty.

2. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Heater? Even hanging a lightbulb in a cardboard box on the left side may be enough to raise the temp. around the grip to about 50* or more. You can warm the bar and grip with a heatgun or even a hair blow drier.

TQ

3. mnultra

mnultra Active Member

I can certainly heat up the bar, I just didn't know what tempurature on the low end was acceptable. Thanks TQ.

4. Mattman4403

Mattman4403 Junior Member

TQ is probably right in the park on the temperature. Seems like 50 is the minimum temperature for just about everything.

5. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Epoxy is temp sensitive & you probably don't want to take the bike w/new grips for a test drive either...best to wait for warmer weather.

6. horizonchaser

horizonchaser Senior Member Contributor

You want to make certain that the temp is correct. A afriend of mine had his grips come loose after a while.

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Just about all the adhesives I have used or looked at state a min, of 50 degrees, I would heat the bars and grips with a blow dryer or heat gun and after applying the grips continue to heat them until just a bit of the adhesive oozed out JMO