free website stats program Almost put it down | Harley Davidson Forums

Almost put it down

AZDave

Just came back from CO. Rented a Heritage out of Loveland and took a 10 hr run through the mountains, it was great and a first long run for me. We stoped to check out a waterfall the last hour of the trip and as I turned around to park facing upgrade I hit the front brake at about 2 miles hr. The bike as manny of you have said went right down. By his help above I held it up with my right leg and brought it back up. Felt like I was hit with a base ball in my right thigh. Kept thinking of the $2500 deposit as I pulled it up.
Every ride is a adventure

Did that the first day I brought my brand-spankin new 08 Heritage home. Turned around in the driveway and hit the front brake doing about the same speed.

This thing took a nose dive but I saved it. Major leg cramps after bringing it back up again.

Lesson learned.

The slow speed drop is what makes the motor guard an essential option. My personal bike has one and I won't rent a bike without one.

great you saved it. I have read here where a number have done this I could not believe I grabbed the brake. I had both feet were down to keep my balance on the slope

The front brake lever as called by some is also known by others as the Drop lever when applied during slow speed manuvering. :D

Glad things worked out. Happens quick don't it!!

Practice, practice, practice. Find a parking lot and practice the friction zone going in as tight a circle as you can CW and CCW. It helped me to always (since I dropped her the same way during a practice) keep my right hand wrapped around the throttle and do not cover the brake lever at all when going slow. I just keep telling myself "don't touch the front brake" over and over. It's a bear when you start to lay it over on the right side as you take your foot off of the rear brake, but don't touch the front brake...easier said than done! I try not to look at the scratch on my right engine guard, hahahahaha.

Glad you could keep it from hitting the "ground". Like others said, most everyone has had this happen. No harm no foul. Good lesson. :D

Back