free website stats program All electrical shut down | Harley Davidson Forums

All electrical shut down

I have a 2002 ultra that will randomly die due a complete electrical shut down. Just like turning the key off, Took it to a HD shop ran on dyno, could not reproduce. Relaced master circuit breaker, put 500 mi. on in varying lengths no problem. Yesterday, while riding two up, after approx. 100mi. died 8 times in 20 miles? Made it to the shop. Couldn't re-produce , replaced breaker again, and ordered new ignition. Headed for home died again after about 20mi.restarted made home 80 mi. away. Now seems to run rough and not as much power? Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have a 2002 ultra that will randomly die due a complete electrical shut down. Just like turning the key off, Took it to a HD shop ran on dyno, could not reproduce. Relaced master circuit breaker, put 500 mi. on in varying lengths no problem. Yesterday, while riding two up, after approx. 100mi. died 8 times in 20 miles? Made it to the shop. Couldn't re-produce , replaced breaker again, and ordered new ignition. Headed for home died again after about 20mi.restarted made home 80 mi. away. Now seems to run rough and not as much power? Any ideas would be appreciated.

At the HD shop -- did they check volts/ohms/amps on EVERYTHING? Any add-ons electrical lately , what size of breaker did you go to, clean and tighten the battery cables ???????????????

Here's a possibility: The plates in your AGM battery have welded sections which may have broken loose causing intermitant voltage drop... IE complete failure... As bike cools plates go back together & re-establish voltage... How old is this battery? If this happens again & available Check for 12.7 volts at battery terminals... Good Luck !!

Had a buddy with an 05 Fatboy do the same thing. Very inconsistent. Tried several breakers and other parts the dealer suggested he swap out. Turned out to be the voltage regulator after another rider suggested he change that.

Gook luck...

Thanks for the input. Supposedly the dealer checked voltage, I checked battery connection myself, tight. They worked on it quite awhile and could find nothing. Voltage regulater was a question I brought up. They have very good Master Mech. but to no avail. Battery was new this Jan. Stored in garage with tender?

They upped the 40 amp breaker to a 50 because of problems like this. It may also be the ignition switch causing the problem. The trick is to test the breaker when it cuts out with a test light before it resets if it is open.

They upped the 40 amp breaker to a 50 because of problems like this. It may also be the ignition switch causing the problem. The trick is to test the breaker when it cuts out with a test light before it resets if it is open.

Helped my buddy cure the same problem on his '03 ultra classic by changing the ring connector on both wires at the circuit breaker. The tell-tale sign is one of the connections got very hot when the breaker tripped. The crimp is hidden up under some heat shrink and can't be seen by the naked eye. If one is bad, change both of them for piece of mind.

Paul1955 is that the same one that is marked system relay that is by the ECM? Thanks

Yes, the system relay by the ECM. If I remember correctly it was 50 amps.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem with my 99 Road Glide a while back. I replaced all the fuses and before installng them, I coded them with Dielectric Greese. I figured there wwas some corosion. Problem never returned. Bill

Back