free website stats program Air Shocks question | Harley Davidson Forums

Air Shocks question

1997 FLHTCU-I, new bike to me with 23,000 miles on it. Runs great ...
Ride does not feel good. Had a 1992 Heritage and the Ultra does not seem much better -suspension wise.
Decided to explore the air shocks
According to manual I should be running 14 rear and 5 front, but according to label on bike 0-10 rear and 0-15 front (this makes no sense to me).
Reading a recent Thread on this site - riders are recommending considerably higher pressures, around 25 which is close to the max HD recommends! I do not want to blow our any seals.

When I checked mine both were at 0. I figure that is my ride problem :)
The SCARY thing is that when I added some air (esp to the front) red fluid came out (looks like red auto transmission fluid). I know the forks have RedLine fork oil in them.
Questions: 1. Why would the fork oil appear and is this a problem?
2. What pressure do you recommend?
dean

Yeah they'll always puke a little oil.Try the middle of the recommended range and adjust from there.

Stay within the recommended pressures for YOUR bike. Different years carry different pressures on some.

As far as the oil coming out, when you connect the pump or the gauge, the pressure (if any small amount) will indeed push a small amount out the fill valve if you don't make a quick seal when doing that. The HD pump is a no air loss setup when connecting it that will over come this and is worth the $40 it costs.

Frankly, air is good for adjustability but not for ride. If you really want to improve the ride, get some Progressive gas-charged shocks for the back and their fork springs for the front.

Back