free website stats program Air pump doesn't fit | Harley Davidson Forums

Air pump doesn't fit

Merlynn

Bought an HD air pump for the shocks on my 09 UC and it doesn't seem to fit. Didn't come with instructions and the owners manual is a bit vague. Is there more than one model? Did I get the wrong one? Would love to be proved an idiot and find out I'm missing something blindingly obvious. The pump connection doesn't appear to be wide enough to fit over the shock nipple. What am I missing?

Last edited:
I don't have an 09, but if it is the same as the earlier models, the shocks should be manifolded together and run to a common shrader valve located just above and on the back side of the left side hard bag.
Your pump should screw right onto it.

YOU must make sure that the fitting screws on completly . The fitting has to be tight enough to get a reading on the guage , if you do not get a reading on the guage then the fitting is not tight enough & if you want to reduce the PSI there is a button on the pump behind the guage that will decrease the PSI .

I just picked up one of the pumps from my local dealer. Using it on an 09 FLHR/C. Works Great. Item # 54630-03A

with mine i use part number 54630-03A.
i have to lift the left bag lid remove the chrome cap screw it on till the gauge reads then its good to go, removal is the reverse and jobs done

I knew the answer was blindingly obvious - chrome cap? Of course! Once I removed that it worked great. Hey I've been working nights this week and tried to do this once I got home in the am. Duh! Never seen a chrome valve stem cover, thought it was part of the fitting as it was more than just tight, ending up using pliers to break it free. Thanks for your input. I'm going to bed now...

I'm with ya. Night shift gets a lot of blame from me too. But lately day shift is trying to catch up. Must be the rotating between the two. Can't be oldtimers can it.

I'm altering this thread. The air pump works great. After bringing up my shocks to almost 50psi as I ride two up I used it just for fun to pump up a tire on my Corolla to 32 psi. Bike tire pressure is 36 and 40psi. Question, will I damage this nifty little pump if I use to inflate bike tires as well as shocks? It's so much faster than dragging out my compressor!

I would say you wouldn't damage it by pumping up a bike tire. It is designed for 50 psi (or 60 psi can't remember for sure). The pump would have no idea if its 50 psi in the air shocks or a tire, its still 50 psi.

The pump is capable of 50 lbs but in low volume situations(high pressure/low volume). Using it to inflate tires will more than likely shorten it's useful life drastically.

The pump is capable of 50 lbs but in low volume situations(high pressure/low volume). Using it to inflate tires will more than likely shorten it's useful life drastically.

Rats, I was afraid of that...still it's a neat little pump!

Back