free website stats program air filter comparisons | Harley Davidson Forums

air filter comparisons

Fireguy

Does anyone have a comparison on which air filter flows the best (of course with good filtering) for our bikes. I just read that K&N has a filter (part #63-122P) that produces 10+ hp. We talk about tuners all day long but how about the air intake.

I know this might be a stupid question but I have to ask anyway. I recently purchased my first HD bike. It's a 2003 XLH 1200 Sportster. I have rejetted the carb to get rid of a bad off idle stumble and was wanting to know how do you determine if you need more airflow over using the stock filter? The bike has aftermarket pipes and the jet kit was (I think)145 slow and 170 main. Thanks

I know this might be a stupid question but I have to ask anyway. I recently purchased my first HD bike. It's a 2003 XLH 1200 Sportster. I have rejetted the carb to get rid of a bad off idle stumble and was wanting to know how do you determine if you need more airflow over using the stock filter? The bike has aftermarket pipes and the jet kit was (I think)145 slow and 170 main. Thanks

I hope you meant 45 slow :D . Most bikes will respond to a stage 1 rather well over the stock setup because of the restriction the stock setup imposes on the intake of air. The typical stage 1 will improve the performance and power of any bike with the corresponding fuel increase and exhaust mods. No need to go crazy with taller filters on a relatively stock engine.

The stock air cleaner does not flow enough air. They are made restrictive because of EPA regulations and such.
With aftermarket pipes, you need an aftermarket air cleaner to get the power gains. you'll have to retune and possibly rejet with a new air cleaner.

Back