After Market Air Cleaner

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by rmarshall234, Jun 1, 2014.

1. rmarshall234

rmarshall234 Member

I've got 40K miles on my sporty and I'm really tired of oil mist fouling the right side of the bike. Any recommendations on an alternative air cleaner that can better deal with inherent flaw in the breather system on Harleys? Something that will dump the oil overboard instead of soaking the air filter.

2. W.Bacon

W.Bacon Member

Your problem has to do with crankcase venting, not the air filter. Oil overfilling contributes to it. Do a forum search on sportster crankcase vent, or the self help section, you'll find better answers specific to your bike, if you don't get an answer here.

3. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Or use a vent to ground kit. I'd start by using 1/2 qt. less oil and see what results.

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

5. rmarshall234

rmarshall234 Member

There we go! Most Excellent, Capital Jack. Exactly what I was looking for - thanks!

6. 03HD883R

03HD883R Active Member

Yup, just the crankcase breather. I know exactly where to fill it on my Harley so it doesn't do this. Took a little bit of practice, but it's not hard. I actually cheated and ground a mark using my Dremel on the dipstick. So when I fill it, I know exactly where it should be. Works every time.