free website stats program Abs rear brake question on 2011 street glide. | Harley Davidson Forums

Abs rear brake question on 2011 street glide.

Aerodawg

Just bought a used 2011 street glide and it has abs brakes, never had abs brakes on my previous bikes (Honda and Fatboy). Is it normal that its extremely hard to push the rear brake pedal down. The first time I rode it caught me by surprise at how hard it was to press the pedal down.. I noticed if I squeeze the front brake first then the pressure is relieved in the rear pedal and it then brakes with steady pressure. Example when I first start my ride by the time I get to the end of my driveway say 50ft, if I press only the rear brake pedal it doesn't seem to work. so today I tried this, if I press the front brake while sitting still you can feel the pressure ease then when I take off I can stop with the rear brake by the end of my driveway. Out on the road its the same I have to use both brakes same time or front brake first to get the rear brake to work. Tomorrow I have an apt with the dealer and they will check it out ...they said maybe air is in the line or the fluid needs replaced or worse rotors etc...any advice would be helpful. I checked the braking threads and also watched you tube videos but really nothing about this situation...the problem its creating for me is because its going down so slow I end up using the front brake harder and end up dipping the front end down like a newby when completing my stops... Thanks for all input.

When one brake lever is hard to operate, there's a problem with the antilock brake manifold. I hope the person that told you it was fluid or rotors was a salesman, not a service dept. worker.

The front and rear brakes are not linked on a 2011.So You should not feel a difference using either first.The rear brake should be easily moved and brake well.I think there was a recall to move the brake switch away from the head pipe.Hopefully the service dept. will figure it out for You.

Thanks for replying.. took it to the mechanic today who agreed with me and said the rear brake pedal should go down when pressed and mine was way to stiff (stiff like a board ) and only went down if front brake was pressed same time... he took it for a test ride and said the abs was abnormal, he also stated there was no way I could ride with the abs turned on.. after testing they said I need a new abs electric controller unit. They disconnected the abs so I can still ride till the part which is on backorder comes in. Was nice riding home with normal brakes for once since I bought the bike. So hopefully this will fix the brakes and hopefully this post will help somebody else if they experience the same issue.

By chance Aerodawg do you know what they did to disconnect the ABS while waiting on parts.
A friend is having a similar problem but with the front brake. I posted a thread about removing ABS on Saturday in the Gen/Wheel section but haven't heard any replies.
tourbox

Back