free website stats program A little help, Please | Harley Davidson Forums

A little help, Please

OLDNOMAD

Hello, all. While I am new to this forum, I am certainly not new to the Harley world. I currently ride an '06 FLHTCI and finally pulled the cam cover off to check the cam chain tensioners. Good thing that I did it now. They are HAMMERED. I hate to spend the coin but I am going to install the upgraded oil pump with hydraulic tensioners. The question is, what cams to go with. I always ride solo and 90% of my riding is done on Interstates at about 85mph.(Arizona to Los Angeles or to Dallas is the norm) That has me turning well over 3000rpm for the vast majority of my time. I don't think I would be pleased with a cam that runs out of juice at 4000rpm but it IS a relatively heavy bike so torque is a factor too. Any suggestions? The bike has a Thunder header, High-flow air cleaner and Power Commander now and runs ok but I figure while I'm in there.....................

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum OLDNOMAD. I'm glad you found the tensioners before it grenaded, and got into the big $$. I'm not gonna recommend a cam because your 90%, is my 10%. BUT I have always been happy with doing my homework and finding the cam that I WANT, then buying the next smaller one. Once or twice I have wished I had more horsepower. Never thought I had too much torque.

I have an 09 ultra with the 103" SE255 cams, I am very happy with that setup for all around speeds.

Do a google search for dyno results/twin cam. You will be surprised at how many people have posted dyno results online. You can go through and find more then you will care to look at. There are a few indys names that come to mind like cycle rama, dragos, fuel moto usa. They all have dyno results posted and are more then willing to sell you the parts.
Welcome to the forum!!

Hello, all. While I am new to this forum, I am certainly not new to the Harley world. I currently ride an '06 FLHTCI and finally pulled the cam cover off to check the cam chain tensioners. Good thing that I did it now. They are HAMMERED. I hate to spend the coin but I am going to install the upgraded oil pump with hydraulic tensioners. The question is, what cams to go with. I always ride solo and 90% of my riding is done on Interstates at about 85mph.(Arizona to Los Angeles or to Dallas is the norm) That has me turning well over 3000rpm for the vast majority of my time. I don't think I would be pleased with a cam that runs out of juice at 4000rpm but it IS a relatively heavy bike so torque is a factor too. Any suggestions? The bike has a Thunder header, High-flow air cleaner and Power Commander now and runs ok but I figure while I'm in there.....................

Thanks in advance.

Options for roller chain conversion:

Roller Chain Conversion white paper

Roller-chain Conversion - Harley Davidson Community

Andrews Products Cam Info:

Andrews Cams and Gears for American V-Twins

TQ

Attachments

• Andrews_Cams_and_Gears_for_American_V-Twins.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Thanks for the input. I believe a call to Herko is in order. I'll keep y'all informed when I finish this project and have a few miles on the old girl!

Thanks for the input. I believe a call to Herko is in order. I'll keep y'all informed when I finish this project and have a few miles on the old girl!

If you care to document and photograph the work, we can post it here for you to help others.

Back