free website stats program A First (for me anyway) | Harley Davidson Forums

A First (for me anyway)

oldhippie

It took me long enough to get up the nerve to actually tear down a motor and put it back together:sd. Not a big thing to those that have been doing it for years, but for me it's a step in the right direction.

That Yamaha(ha) TTR125 I'd picked up last fall for my daughter's to learn to ride ended up having a snapped drive shaft after a bearing fell apart. My bad, jumped into buying it without doing my homework:small3d023::wall.

Well, spent the winter tearing it apart and replaced the drive shaft, a couple of drive axle gears and main axle gears that had bearing pieces mangle the teeth. Found one spot on the fixed gear on the main axle shaft that didn't quite mesh properly with the drive axle gear so had a machinist buddy from work shave a .002" off two cogs to get it to mesh properly. I figure that little factory defect caused the inner bearing to wear out from being kicked over ever so slightly every rotation (but I could be wrong).

Had a blast doing it and the best part was having it fire back to life:newsmile108:. Took it for a little ride around the property last week and everything sounds good.

Next rebuild, the 18hp B&S motor on the garden tractor (after the roofing job and deck build I have to get done on the house). No shortage of stuff to do, just a shortage of days off to get it done.

AH yes a bit of tinkering is a reward . Have a ball and be proud of what you have done, think of the money you saved on labor and you learned along the way:s

AH yes a bit of tinkering is a reward . Have a ball and be proud of what you have done, think of the money you saved on labor and you learned along the way:s

The BIG motivators were money saved and experience gained:Banane34:. Just took me time to try it with something that I had a small financial input into and no rush to get back in use (winter kinda helped with that).

Every time you get something running properly gives a wee rush of self pride the bigger the job the bigger the rush
well done and keep going

Brian

Good for you. I'm slowly learning things about my bike. It's neat when you get things to work right.

Back