free website stats program a/c | Harley Davidson Forums

a/c

did anyone alter ( open up ) their air cleaner housing when you installed your K&N or SE a/c? Thanks for any info/input. BP

The SE air cleaner doesn't use the stock housing and if you use the replacement K&N for the stock air cleaner, the restriction is mainly in the filter not so much the housing.
The complete stage 1 kit is the way to go to get the max benefit out of changing the intake at all.

I drilled several 5/8" holes in the black plastic housing. I was still using my stock element. I can't say I noticed any performance gain, but it did make the intake louder. I have since gone to a S.E. setup with a TFI. That makes a noticable difference
airboxdynaforks008.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
good morning Glider.I installed the TFI,the slip-ons,and installed the K&N a/c as well.I do have the stage 1 up grade.The info I got was the K&N opened up the air flow to support the s/o's and the TFI.So is it necessary to alter the stock housing that houses the K&N filter on my 103"? Thanks for any info. BP

good morning Glider.I installed the TFI,the slip-ons,and installed the K&N a/c as well.I do have the stage 1 up grade.The info I got was the K&N opened up the air flow to support the s/o's and the TFI.So is it necessary to alter the stock housing that houses the K&N filter on my 103"? Thanks for any info. BP

Is your housing the one that comes from the factory which seals the back of the filter in the case or is it open where you can see the edge of the filter around the outer edge of the cover?

It sounds like the latter one where you can see the filter around the edge.

my housing is factory as it seals behind the K&N filter.I had an 2001 RK that I had an PowerCommander 2 installed and put on a dyno.The installer,John Golden,drilled out the housing and installed a K&N filter w/so's.Thats the reason I asked about drilling out the housing as a responder a couple of posts up left a pic of. BP

One more question, how tall is your filter?

Is it 2 1/4" or the shorter one like stock, maybe 1"- 1 1/4"?

Usually only the stock one will fit inside the stock cover.

OK, I just saw the pic. That's for the stock filter in the stock housing. As mentioned above the restriction is still the shorter stock height filter and the K&N replacement will be better than stock but not as good as the K&N in the stage 1 kit. The stage 1 kit will have less turbulence because of an extended backing plate too resulting in a better flow.

Harley Davidson Community

Last edited:
I installed a stage 1 air filter kit today, along with Vance & Hines fishtail slip ons, and a GEN-3 EJK (of course). Very happy with the complete installation, but after reading this thread, I am wondering if I installed the ait filter correctly. People are talking about drilling holes in the stock black plastic part of the football to let the air in. I just eliminated it. The air filter attaches to the new plate and the front silver part of the football attaches to it in the center. Eliminating the black plastic back piece leaves it open all the way around the air filter so there is no air restriction.

This makes sense to me, did I miss something in the installation?

You are fine. The kits that come with a new back plate are intended to eliminate the football back plate. I have 3 old back plates in my garage that I should throw into the recycle. :s

Thanks,

I thought I had it right.

Back