free website stats program 99 roadking clutch problems | Harley Davidson Forums

99 roadking clutch problems

Fearless1

Ok I got a 99 roadking classic and about every 8 months I have to replace clutch disks because it will want to start pulling when cluth lever is engaged. It gradually gets worse and before it goes out entirely if you are stopped at a light it will want to pull but if I rev it up a bit it stops pulling any ideas?

Ok I got a 99 roadking classic and about every 8 months I have to replace clutch disks because it will want to start pulling when cluth lever is engaged. It gradually gets worse and before it goes out entirely if you are stopped at a light it will want to pull but if I rev it up a bit it stops pulling any ideas?

Harley Davidson Community Have a look here what lube are you using?

Have you replaced the clutch cable? Adjusted the primary chain?

This has been a problem for sometime now I have tried adjusting primary clutch cable i even changed the transmission last time I did clutch pllates about 8 months ago and they are still doing the same thing. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and would have a clue to what is causing this I even change clutch basket and steel plates but no help 8 months later clutch started engaging when clutch lever is pulled in. Reving it up helps to engage clutch so it will not pull but it gets worse then it eventually wont set still at all. I had to stall it out twice today coming home from work at red lights just so it would not lurch into the back of the cars in front of me.:(

Would the primary chain being to sloppy cause this problem?
I just removed the primary cover and I'm at the end of my adjustment for the primary chain and it is still a little to loose.

This has been a problem for sometime now I have tried adjusting primary clutch cable i even changed the transmission last time I did clutch pllates about 8 months ago and they are still doing the same thing. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and would have a clue to what is causing this I even change clutch basket and steel plates but no help 8 months later clutch started engaging when clutch lever is pulled in. Reving it up helps to engage clutch so it will not pull but it gets worse then it eventually wont set still at all. I had to stall it out twice today coming home from work at red lights just so it would not lurch into the back of the cars in front of me.:(

CLUTCH Cable like Jack said.

?????

Handle Bars and Clutch squeeze handle Stock? (bent)?
Any Frilie things on the clutch handle?
How much Free Play used at the clutch handle?
Does Free Play ever change on its own?

How much play In and Out IF you grab the clutch both hands and pushNpull?

No is my answer on the primary chain.

signed....BUBBIE

CLUTCH Cable like Jack said.

?????

Handle Bars and Clutch squeeze handle Stock? (bent)?
Any Frilie things on the clutch handle?
How much Free Play used at the clutch handle?
Does Free Play ever change on its own?

How much play In and Out IF you grab the clutch both hands and pushNpull?

No is my answer on the primary chain.

signed....BUBBIE

Replace Clutch cable, you will never get clutch adjustment right with a stretched and worn cable

Where did you get the clutch cable from? Is it possible that it is stretching? I had similar problem but was because my clutch basket had grooves worn in it and disc's were binding at times? Also I had lube my (no lube) cable. Then it seemed gummy and sticky. Replaced with factory cable and so far it's been fine? I have heard of cheap cables stretching. If it stretched you would lose your adjustment. Also any chance the locking nut on the clutch rod is coming loose and allowing rod to slowly turn ? They are not complicated so it has to be something simple like that in my humble opinion? :)

I have it torn down and taking the clutch basket out tomorrow I also have a backup clutch cable I will replace it but the jam nut is tight not backing out I will go thru it all with a fine tooth comb and replace cable. I will let you all know if it works. I really appreciate all the help you guys are great!!!:s

Back