free website stats program '99 FXST Softail - rear fender bolts | Harley Davidson Forums

'99 FXST Softail - rear fender bolts

terminator727

Extremely dumb question I guess, BUT - does anybody have a tip on loosening the rear bolts on the fender strut ? I am talking about the large phillips head ones. Thanks for anything you can offer.

On my fatboy, they are torx, but i just used a torx socket and wratchet. i had to take them off to remove my sissybar, and seat.
since i had them out i went to the dealer, and bought new chrome ones, and then added a little threadlocker. I installed them with a torque wrench, i believe 25 or 30 ft lbs

I have heard of people useing one of those battery powerd impact drills , just be carefull not to strip them out. Use some oil on the threads.

On my bike these have been replaced but there should be a nut on the inside of the fender id first try a spanner on the nut on the inside using a screwdriver to hold the philips head
however as the environment under the fender aint good for threaded fastners then you may need to spray the inside with some penetrating fluid and let sit for a day or so
Jacking the bike up to let the rear wheel fall to get better acess may help
but using an impact driver often helps as the shock of hitting with a hammer can sometimes dislodge any crud/rust that is holding it tight

Brian

on my custom they went into the plate bracket.. i had to grab the edges with some vice grips and crack them loose.. i did have to replace the bolts tho..

Back