free website stats program '99-'05 Road King advice needed | Harley Davidson Forums

'99-'05 Road King advice needed

Motor T

I want to move up to a Road King from my '09 Sportster. I'm looking at '99-'05 models and I'm getting dizzy. I would love a few suggestions with things to look for and any major do's/dont's, need/don't need. Were their any major improvements from '99 to say '03+? I've never had a Road King so any help would be extremely welcomed! Thank you.

Nope, no real changes so to speak. They came with the 96" with a six speed and went to hydraulic cam chain tensioners in 07, and changed the frame in 08 with a wider rear tire.
In the years your considering, 01 offered optional security system, 03 went to non Timken bearings on the crank, 04 went to a MU85 (140)rear tire and 06 was the last year for carbs. I may be missing something and i'm sure someone else will chime in.
WAP.gif

I have a 99 and really like it. If I had it to do over, I would have gone never. The fuel injection was changed and a six speed trans would be nice.
WAP.gif

Mechanically, I cant help you. what I can say is:

I have the '03 RKC and came from a sporty of years gone by. you'll love it, a completely different world as far as the riding experience goes.

No "major" problems. Nothing the forum couldnt walk me through. Im coming up on 40k miles since i bought her. Sure, the 6 speed and the 96 or 103 would be nice, but I can run 75-80 all day long just like the rest of them.

After my ride today, I got bored and was looking at bikes for sale....quite a few out there going from 8k to 12k. Look long, look hard, you'll find it.

Good Luck, Be Safe.

Road Kings are timeless IMO. Some things that MAY help you. Up to '02 Fuel Injection was by Magneti Morelli. Not a bad unit, but few people now can work on them if problems arise. If the bike has 30 K miles or more, the cam chain adjusters need inspection or should have been replaced. Harleys are a lot more trouble free than forums would make you think. Most come to forums because they are looking for help, or are really interested in learning about their bike.
Good luck in your quest, and keep asking questions.

Nope, no real changes so to speak. They came with the 96" with a six speed and went to hydraulic cam chain tensioners in 07, and changed the frame in 08 with a wider rear tire.
In the years your considering, 01 offered optional security system, 03 went to non Timken bearings on the crank, 04 went to a MU85 (140)rear tire and 06 was the last year for carbs. I may be missing something and i'm sure someone else will chime in.
WAP.gif

I think the new frame started in 09... Tell me if I am wrong.

all i can say is you will love it. bought a 05 to flip and then when i road it i flipped, now way i would sell it after the first ride. get the cams tensioners check mine went out at 18,000....

got a love it :D

I have a 04 Road King custom ,no problems, did the tensioners at 24K they were almost pristine but changed them anyways. Keep up with the maintaince,oil ,tranny ,primary fluids, tire pressures . Bought mine new still love it as much today as when I first got her.

JMHO.....

IF You could get a LOW mile 09 King,,,, 96 or 103, that would be MY preference... They are out there...

The 09 had so many improvements over the other years... That is WHY I bought mine (new)...

The 00/01/02 is (my thinking) better Stable on the crank because of the timken bearings internal on the crank... Going to Gear drive Cams, make those years a better Option than replacing the Shoes... I ran SnS 570 Gears in my 00 TC..FXDS

IF you can get a good LOW mile 00/01/02 I"d say Great and at a Low price:D

That would give you some $$ to spend on upgrades.:s

I'd still go for a 09....I'm Spoiled with mine... Bought new in 09 (2010) Just came out on the floor, so a good deal on $$'s... it was a 96" King,,,I Just re-built it to 103.. 68,000 miles on it today...

What ever you decide ---- Good Hunting...

signed....BUBBIE

Back