free website stats program 98 Road King Oil Drain Bolt | Harley Davidson Forums

98 Road King Oil Drain Bolt

switch67

I'm new here so please bear with me on this post. I recently bought my first harley a week and a half ago,it's a 98 road king,evo motor.I purchased a clymer service book and have everything needed for my first oil change.I have read many threads on this subject and watched numerous online videos.Seems they all show the engine oil drain as a bolt,either 5/8" or 3/4". I looked under my bike where this bolt is supposed to be and all I see is a hex head bolt that is flush with the pan.It appears to be the same type as on my gear box filler cap.Is this correct for a 98 evo? and what size hex is it? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

DO NOT!!!!! Touch that hex bolt. You will find a drain plug in 2 different areas on the pan. One maybe on the front of pan between the fins on and the other is for the transmission....

With the bike on the kick stand, look under from the right side of the bike. At the front of the oil pan is flush mount allen and the about an inch farther left is the drain. It is a 5/8 socket with an allen center hole. It's located on the corner of the oil pan. If you look back to the frame cross over under the tranny the drain for the tranny is located in a recessed hole on the right right side of the cross over. Both are 5/8' sockets/allen, same bolt. Check your O-ring before replacing the plugs and put some pipe dope or Teflon tape on the threads. Don't over tighten.
tourbox

HD98FLHTC018.gif

Here is your oil pan There are 2 #16 drain plugs in the picture, the one facing the front of the bike should be your oil drain plug

Thanks for the replys on this, and I did order the owners manual for my year bike.As it was,I was correct about the hex head bolt. I took it to a licensed harely service shop today.It seems my bike has a 100ci Revtech motor and the trans drain and motor drain are both hex head bolts that go in flush with the pans.Neither have O ring seals,so just a little dab of teflon sealer on the threads is needed.:)

Thanks for the replys on this, and I did order the owners manual for my year bike.

Not to be a nitpicker, but I suggested you get the Service Manual, not the Owners Manual.

If you're going to do any of your own work on the bike, the HD Service Manual is invaluable!

Back