free website stats program 98 fxd electrical issue | Harley Davidson Forums

98 fxd electrical issue

jmeza

Upon starting bike I turned ignition on, then I hit start button then I hear one click and it kills the system, lights and all. I then turn the ignition off, then turn it to accessary and tail light comes on very dim. Then after a few seconds it brightens up to full, then I turn the ignition on and I have headlight. I hit start button and again hear one click and it kills the whole system, lights and all. If I turn the ignition off and on I have no headlight. I then turn accessary back on and I get the dim tail light and it brightens up again after a few seconds, then I turn the ignition back on, then the headlight comes back on. I hit the start button i hear one click and it kills the whole system again. Please help, I've checked all wiring circuits, grounds, relays, and fuses. All check out ok.

Sounds like a bad connection or battery. Try disconnecting BOTH sides of BOTH Cables and reinstalling them using some dielectric grease on the connections. Also have your battery load tested. Do you have access to a DVOM for checking battery voltage?

To me it sounds like a circuit breaker is tripping when you press the start button that is what the click may be
possibly a fault in the starting circuit but as the main big red wire from the battery goes to the starter motor i would start there first

Brian

Check the connection at the starter as well, This is often over looked, clean and tight, check to see starter is tight and grounded:s

any electrical problems with almost anything...i check all my grounds, to me they seem the most likely to let you down. check for corrosion then give them a wiggle and a little tug.

I appreciate the help. I have load tested battery and ok. I jumped the circuit braker as a test still the same problem. I also jumped the ignition switch and still the same problem. starter relay is new. could it be the ignition module? if so, how can I check it. I feel like fixing it with a hammer the only thing is's not my bike. thanks my fellow bikers. I've been working on bikes for many years this one has me stumped.

I appreciate the help. I have load tested battery and ok. I jumped the circuit braker as a test still the same problem. I also jumped the ignition switch and still the same problem. starter relay is new. could it be the ignition module? if so, how can I check it. I feel like fixing it with a hammer the only thing is's not my bike. thanks my fellow bikers. I've been working on bikes for many years this one has me stumped.

Have you checked the Kill switch? Any recent mods to the bike?

I hit start button then I hear one click and it kills the system, lights and all. I then turn the ignition off, then turn it to accessary and tail light comes on very dim.

could it be the ignition module?

If you now have the SAME problem as you first said above, it is not the ignition module. I question "How" your battery was load tested.

Put the battery on a charger overnight and get a green light. Then try to start the bike. What happens. Does it start or do the lights still sag & fade out. At this point we don't know the charge state of the battery. Exactly how old and what brand is your battery.

Upon starting bike I turned ignition on, then I hit start button then I hear one click and it kills the system, lights and all. I then turn the ignition off, then turn it to accessary and tail light comes on very dim. Then after a few seconds it brightens up to full, then I turn the ignition on and I have headlight. I hit start button and again hear one click and it kills the whole system, lights and all. If I turn the ignition off and on I have no headlight. I then turn accessary back on and I get the dim tail light and it brightens up again after a few seconds, then I turn the ignition back on, then the headlight comes back on. I hit the start button i hear one click and it kills the whole system again. Please help, I've checked all wiring circuits, grounds, relays, and fuses. All check out ok.

Sporties are known to have problems with the fusses corroding from water infiltration. Check the fuse panel and clean as necessary followed by some dielectric grease on the contacts. You may also want to verify the main breaker too.

If you now have the SAME problem as you first said above, it is not the ignition module. I question "How" your battery was load tested.

Put the battery on a charger overnight and get a green light. Then try to start the bike. What happens. Does it start or do the lights still sag & fade out. At this point we don't know the charge state of the battery. Exactly how old and what brand is your battery.

ALWAYS start at the source as Hoople indicates, The battery is the first link:s

Back