free website stats program 98 flstc cam noise? | Harley Davidson Forums

98 flstc cam noise?

loneryder

i have a 98 heritage 80ci with 43,000 miles. I went to take a ride and noticed a light metallic niose, came immediately home. Using a stethiscope the noise is primarily at the front two lifter covers. Should i be looking to have cam and lifters changed out, or one or the other?

i have a 98 heritage 80ci with 43,000 miles. I went to take a ride and noticed a light metallic niose, came immediately home. Using a stethiscope the noise is primarily at the front two lifter covers. Should i be looking to have cam and lifters changed out, or one or the other?

Welcome,
I had a 97 EVO and loved it.... and i will try to help here.

questions you need to answer first for all to read.

How long have you had the bike?
What modifications have been done to the engine?
Mainly in the valve cam area..
Adjustable push rods or ??/ you get the picture so maybe fill us in on them..

what oil do you use and how often do you change/ last serviced?

thats a start.

bubbie

Before getting carried away, try a couple of quick things. Change oil to a premium quality full synthetic engine oil like Mobil 1 VTwin 20W50. Change your engine oil filter to the recommended HD filter or the WIX cross out. Take out and clean or replace the lifter oil supply screen. This may be full of trash and somewhat starving the lifters.

See if that does it. If not, I am afraid you will have to change out the lifters. The good news it that if you invest in some adjustable pushrods, this is NOT a big job. Make sure you follow the book, and USE the alignment tool (actually two is better) when reinstalling the tappet guide blocks.

TQ

Before getting carried away, try a couple of quick things. Change oil to a premium quality full synthetic engine oil like Mobil 1 VTwin 20W50. Change your engine oil filter to the recommended HD filter or the WIX cross out. Take out and clean or replace the lifter oil supply screen. This may be full of trash and somewhat starving the lifters.

See if that does it. If not, I am afraid you will have to change out the lifters. The good news it that if you invest in some adjustable pushrods, this is NOT a big job. Make sure you follow the book, and USE the alignment tool (actually two is better) when reinstalling the tappet guide blocks.

TQ

Very good info here special attention to overhead tappet screen will tell if there is trash in oil from lifters going bad and or breather H D did have problems with lifters and plastic breathers going bad, I had 50k on my 97 FLHT with no problems but others not so lucky. seems to me I read H D suggests changing lifters @ 50k

Sorry guys, i'm new to this.
I am the original owner, have changed the oil and filter every 2500-3000 miles. No serious modification other than pipes and jetting of the carb I have installed HD oil filters at every oil change. I have checked the oil screen, and had a very little junk in it. I have used Castrol GTX 20w50 oil all the time except for once I actually used HD 20w50 oil. I have taken the bike into HD for the 10,000, 20,000 and 30,000 mile services. I was on my way to take the bike in for the 40,000 service, when this noise appeared.

Being a retired auto mechanic, and new to strange noises in the bike, as it's been great to me. Actually this is my first problem with the bike, and don't want to bring it to the HD dealer. I have the service manual on the bike, and I am willing to tackle the replacement of the lifters.
Thank you for all the replies

Being a retired auto mechanic, and new to strange noises in the bike, as it's been great to me. Actually this is my first problem with the bike, and don't want to bring it to the HD dealer. I have the service manual on the bike, and I am willing to tackle the replacement of the lifters.
Thank you for all the replies

Just remember

You can "Snip" the pushrods and save a lot of work and buy adjustable pushrods to re-install when doing this job.
I strongly suggest to do it this way...

snip= bolt cutters covered with a rag when used..

bubbie

Like Bubbie said it's a easy check if you cut the pushrods and go back up with quick install adjustables, could be rollers going out on the lifter or even a inner cam bearing, I think they were still using the bearings with the plastic between the rollers then, if you replace the bearing use a torrington bearing is a much better bearing, don't use the stock HD. Just my opinion,Good luck.

Back