free website stats program 98 Evo motor/rotor stator question | Harley Davidson Forums

98 Evo motor/rotor stator question

cjpilot

Hello all!!

First off new to the Harley world as of last year and have since bought a 83'FXSB Shovelhead and just acquired a Custom with a 98 Evo Motor. I bought it as a project bike and when I got it home to start in on it, it was missing Rotor and Stator. I ordered a new assy but noticed there are two Washers (spacers?) with the new assy. Does anyone know if both are required and what sequence they go back on? The rest of the bike is custom so I havent purchased a manual yet.. but need to get this on to see what find of fun I will be getting into on getting the belt primary back on Dont have enough posts to download any manuals yet. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hello all!!

First off new to the Harley world as of last year and have since bought a 83'FXSB Shovelhead and just acquired a Custom with a 98 Evo Motor. I bought it as a project bike and when I got it home to start in on it, it was missing Rotor and Stator. I ordered a new assy but noticed there are two Washers (spacers?) with the new assy. Does anyone know if both are required and what sequence they go back on? The rest of the bike is custom so I havent purchased a manual yet.. but need to get this on to see what find of fun I will be getting into on getting the belt primary back on Dont have enough posts to download any manuals yet. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Stator Repair/Replace - Harley Davidson Community This may help

Hello all!!

Check out the attached.

TQ

Attachments

• 77086-97-98 Harley Dtail-Service Manual p342.pdf
    84.9 KB · Views: 51
the rotor comes with instructions, they tell you what spacers are used, for what. one is for use when upgrading to the 32amp i think you only need the small one by memory

It's best to get a service manual for the bike you are working on. They give you tons of information and lots of pictures and drawings. Best accessory I have for mine. Good luck with your project.

Hello all!!

Hi CJ
Do you have a 32A system?
The two spacers are for rotor alignment and comp sprocket alignment.
Not sure if '98's are different to mine, but the point with the first is to get the rotor magnets centered over the stator WITHOUT it touching the case/wiring.
The sprocket alignment washer is there to align the front and rear sprockets. On mine additional shims may be needed to get within the .03" tolerance (I use shims).
I wouldn't be too concerned if the rotor is not exactly centered over the stator, but the primary chain alignment is important.

Back