free website stats program 97 road king efi problem | Harley Davidson Forums

97 road king efi problem

my 1997 police roadking runs great on longer runs and like i have read in the forum i removed and checked the line on fuel pump in tank no leaks the bike does fine for 40 minutes then stop at light or such and starts backfiring and wont accelerate then just takes off and runs fine for a long time and may just backfire at constant speed and then start acting up real confusing as never consistant problem may run great for an hour or maybe ten feet

my 1997 police roadking runs great on longer runs and like i have read in the forum i removed and checked the line on fuel pump in tank no leaks the bike does fine for 40 minutes then stop at light or such and starts backfiring and wont accelerate then just takes off and runs fine for a long time and may just backfire at constant speed and then start acting up real confusing as never consistant problem may run great for an hour or maybe ten feet

OK. Sure sounds like the pin holes in the in-tank lines, but if you are sure you checked the plastic fuel lines (there are two) in the tank and ruled that out. (Engine Dies And Runs In Spurts - Harley Davidson Community)

Next, I would fire up the bike, and then grab the injector wires about an inch or so up the wire and wiggle them to see if you have an issue there. You may have to undo the tank and lift the back end a bit to get in there, but be careful not to break anything. A couple of inches should do.

Front Injector Problem (FL Models) - Harley Davidson Community

What did you find?

TQ

thanks for your reply i just joined the community today but have been using the suggestions on the diagnosis of my bike just returned from ride after replacing fuel filter and checking the hoses (the ones in my bike are the black rubber ones) no leaks found, filled tank , have taken and moved oulled on and twisted injector wires but no reaction, took the bike out and ran 27.4 miles decelerated to enter hiway ramp and bike then starts backfiring popping lurchung and no power then as fast as it happens it goes away and runs fine? here is the latest just idiling engine speed increases and acts funny shaking and such no throttle response other than backfires and pops

just filled tank with fresh clean 91 chevron and added 104 max the other day as thought maybe varnish or water is there a possibility that the pressure valve is sticking open

yes have used it i am running back and forth trying other suggestions at times when you turn the ignition on and the pump runs it just flows wildly out of the return line in the tank after a couple times of cycling the switch it will stop flowing and pressure up

Back