free website stats program 97 fxds conv cuts out and sputters at 3000 RPM | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

97 fxds conv cuts out and sputters at 3000 RPM

I have just got done working on the bike and thought I would update before I grab a few hours of sleep. I pulled the tank and replaced the petcock with a non vac operated 1. Plugged the line from the voes T that went to the old petcock. I also flushed the tank and inspected the inside. I replaced all vacuum and fuel lines. Pulled the carb, cleaned and inspected it. Everything looked good. I tested the voes on the bench and it tested good. After I got everything put back together I checked for any intake leaks and found none. I also tested the voes again by letting the bike idle and I pulled the line from the carb. When I did this the idle decreased drastically so it seems it working. I also checked all the electrical connections while I had the tank off. I will give it a test ride this evening. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Finally got time to get the bike out and give it a short test ride. I only had time for about 50 miles or so but it did not have any issues. I did notice that the idle was a little better and it ran a bit better as well. I will have to put a few hundred more miles on it before I know for sure but at this point I think the petcock was the issue. Dang newfangled gadgets! Think I will take the shovel out tomorrow! Thanks for all the help everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for getting back to us. Sounds like maybe your are back in the wind and I hope that the bike continues to run well. Let us know after that long ride. Thanks again

So far so good y'all! I have a few hundred more miles on now and no problems. Looks like it was the vacuum petcock. I also found out an interesting fact on tires today when I went to put a new one on the bike. I will start a new post but figured I would let y'all know here as well. I have been running a 880 Metzeler 140/90/16 instead of the stock 130 tire. I decided to try out the new Metzeler 888 as they were only $6 more than the 880. I have used the same tire shop for years and had them order me 1 the other day and had it put on today. Well when we went to put it on the bike it was rubbing so after all of us gave everything a closer inspection we found the new 888 was about 1/2 inch wider than the 880. Both were 140/90/16's but there was no way the 888 was going to fit. I have a 130 on order for Tuesday and they will not charge me for the 140.

Back