'97 EVO EFI noise?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Dean Chowenhill, May 19, 2009.

1. Dean Chowenhill

Dean Chowenhill Member

I have a "rattling" noise I can not locate. It has been there for a while. Recently, new pistons, cam and lifters - noise still there.
    I suspect it is in the EFI system, maybe a solinoid.

It happens between 2,500 and 3,000 rpm and mainly when slightly accelerating.

Any help out there on this one?

dean

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

What octane fuel? You need a good grade of high test if it's pinging/rattling.(93 octane like Sunoco)

3. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

Just asking here ---- could it be a loose header pipe / exhaust "rattling" ???

4. Dean Chowenhill

Dean Chowenhill Member

Not pinging - using the highest octane gas I can buy in CA. I know pinging. This is more like rattling marbles in a tin can. Not on hard acceleration - constant rattling at about 2,800 rpm.
    I read a lot of your answers and respect your opinion, thanks for the info.
    dean

Exactly what it sounds like and is the first thing I checked and double checked. The noise is higher in the engine.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
  5. Fossil

Fossil Active Member

Recently, new pistons, cam and lifters - noise still there.
    Have you checked to make sure the push rods are adjusted right? As in are you sure you do not have a lifter failing to pump up. Being an Ultra there could be some thing in the fairing, etc. rattling. Fossil

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

CA kind of says it all. The lean running engines in CA have a host of problems. Try an octane booster and see if it helps eliminate the noise. Being a '97 bike, I would think it is a carbed engine so a rejetting may help your problem. The low speed circuit should be upped to a #46 jet. If it is a fuel injected bike, then a TFI would do the job.

You didn't mention the octane rating of the fuel you use.

7. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

If you eliminate it being a detonation ping and you have no exhaust leak stiick a small bar with a 90*bend on it into your mufflers,grab the baffles with it and give them a little push,then a tug.A loose baffle can give a terrible rattle at certain rpm's