free website stats program 96" unknown performance improvements? | Harley Davidson Forums

96" unknown performance improvements?

Mi3ninos

I have searched (poorly ) this forum and not really found the info I need.

Got a 07 Night Train in August. Fellow I got it from had purchased it from a soldier on deployment. So I got it 3rd hand from a yuppy who put $1k cosmetic on it then 900miles. I paid 10.5k and the bike had 9.3k miles. I'm happy.

The bike runs real well. Almost too good. stage 1, PWCIII, Bassani pipes. 33-35mpg.

4 bigger bore bikes in my club 2 - 103, 1 -110 and one 117 + a VRod all claim my bike cant be a 96". It runs right with the 103s and can clear the front rubber from 1st to 2nd. Not a hot rod but two or three blasts confirmed this. I installed a Speedway digital tach and the rev is above 6k.

I know I know I know I know the first step should be a dyno. The yuppy has no clue about the bike other than what he bolted on from HD. I have no idea who or how to contact the original owner.

Just asking some questions first. If it has upgraded cams is there some minimally invasive way of confirming, same with any cycl+ and/or head work. Pretty sure I know your answers but thought I'd take a leap for luck.

Thanks in advance.

If a dealer did the work they should have what was done by giving them the VIN#, check with the dealers in your area with your VIN# .

I agree with Maine-e-ax, try the vin # search. IMO the only thing the dyno will do is give you hp & tq numbers. You either have a GREAT running 96 or a good running 103, or a fair running 110, the Dyno won't tell you which it is, or what cams, headwork that has been done.
You got a great running bike at a Very good price.

I guess I would run it like a scalded dog till it blows up then you will know, really unless you know who worked on it without tearing it down and checking bore stroke and part numbers you may never know, if it runs strong ride it and enjoy, JMO Jack

Back