free website stats program 96' 883 Hugger won't start? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

96' 883 Hugger won't start?

Take the needle and seat apart,the old fuel has probably plugged the hole,run a tip cleaner into the seat and see if you can get fuel through it.

If there's no fuel in the bowl, the float drops and the inlet opens to let the fuel in. If you did what you said and you also tried to open the drain screw and nothing came out, the needle and seat id the problem or the float is hung up. Either way you have to drop the float bowl to find the problem.

If they are gummed up or hung up. The seat rarely goes bad but the needle does. I would replace them both being you are in there.

When I pulled the needle out to clean it was extrememly gunked up at the point. I will pick up those parts and replace them both. I appreciate everyone's input. I am not ignorant to the basics but this detailed stuff has me stumped.

No worries, you can use carb cleaner to clean the seat, but do not get any on rubber parts, like the needle, o-rings etc. Try to follow your service manual if you have one. Othersise post it and others will be with your shortly to help troubleshoot

Alright, Because the bike sat for so long before I got it I am wondering if I should just buy a new or rebuilt carb and put it on. What are your thoughts? It seems as though it just keeps nickel and diming me to death and when I'm done I will have almost rebuilt the carb anyway. Looking for some opinion.

There's really no reason to buy a new carb if you clean all the passages and jets out and blow them out to be sure. If you have to , clean everything a couple of times and then blow through it to make sure the passage is open.

Have you tried to start it using a bit of starting fluid in the carb?

Yes, I had starting fluid in the carb last night. It fired right up but when it stopped, it stopped. I can not seem to get the fuel to flow to the carb. I think I'm just getting burnt out and looking for a way out of working on it myself. I called the local Harley shop(Bumpus) and they say that they can rebuild it for under 150.00.

I think I'll give it one more shot tonight and if no success off to Bumpus it goes.

You can get a used CV carb for less than $150 as a take off. Check the fuel flow into the bowl again and see if it is getting into the bowl, from there it's a matter of cleaning things out with carb cleaner and air pressure.

Back