95 BB 510g motor question

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by eds06roadglide, Oct 13, 2010.

1. eds06roadglide

eds06roadglide New Member

I'm new to the harley family(sence 08) and I have a probably common question. I have recently done the 95"BB kit stage 1 and pc111. I'm about to install S&S 510g cams(kit) along with adjustable SE pushrods. The indy I'm going to is telling me I need not spend the money on a new cam plate,lifters or oil pump. Just confused everywhere I read says I have to do this. Don't want to spend the money(of coarse) but don't want screw up either by being cheap. I have always had street bikes and like to gun it around town as well as on the freeways is there anything else I should be adding to this build plan? Thanks in advance your Ideas will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

IMO,i would do it all for peace of mind:s
  3. dcfatboy

dcfatboy Active Member

I installed an AMS 96" BB myself on my 2004 Ultra Nov 2007 and about 26,000 mi ago. (I missed all of last year riding because of knee surgery.)

I took AMS's advice, used an AMS 96" Piston and Cylinder Kit, AMS heads, AMS lifters, and Andrews 26G cams. I reused the Harley stock pushrods. I got the proper tools from George's Garage or Jim's, took my time, aligned and torqued everything properly, and sighed when the engine did not explode on the dyno machine. :)

My engine still runs as strong as ever.
  4. 89 FXRS

89 FXRS Active Member

The updated oil pump/cam plate from what I've been told is the way to go - 8% better oil pressure and 22% better scavenging plus you don't have to worry about the old style cam tensioners - it uses hydraulic tensioners, this is the same setup as the newer2007 and up models use/the kit retails for $430.00