free website stats program 94 HD Road King Speedo problem | Harley Davidson Forums

94 HD Road King Speedo problem

I think the '94 still had front wheel speedo drive?
The quickest test is to unscrew the cable from the drive at the front wheel. The inner cable usually breaks close to the wheel. If the inner cable is intact, take the speedometer itself out of the console and unscrew the cable and twist the inner to see if that end spins (yes, it's greasy). If the inner cable is still in one piece, either the drive or speedo is bad. If the inner is bad, buy a new speedo cable from HD for $20 or just a "universal" inner cable from a parts house for $5 and cut to fit (only if you have some mech. skills).

I also think that 94 was the last year of the cable driven speedo and as breeze3at said most likely place for a failure is in the first 3" from the drive unit i tend to keep a spare handy as they do snap from time to time be aware while it is not working your turn signals will not self cancel

Brian

I think the '94 still had front wheel speedo drive?
The quickest test is to unscrew the cable from the drive at the front wheel. The inner cable usually breaks close to the wheel. If the inner cable is intact, take the speedometer itself out of the console and unscrew the cable and twist the inner to see if that end spins (yes, it's greasy). If the inner cable is still in one piece, either the drive or speedo is bad. If the inner is bad, buy a new speedo cable from HD for $20 or just a "universal" inner cable from a parts house for $5 and cut to fit (only if you have some mech. skills).

Ahhh.. Nope. Standard trans sensor pickup. The main difference is the 94 FLHR uses what became the standard speedo wiring for the FLHR police bikes. There is no plug on the speedo, just individual wires to the terminals. I had mine fail some years ago. I found a used police bike speedo and it worked just fine.

I don't know when the police bikes switched over from the seperate wires set up. These type of speedos are hard to fine. You can rewire to the newer style speedos. It's not that hard.

As for troubleshooting, it's kinda tough if you don't have the dealer speedo troubleshooting breakout box.

Asphalt Honey - What's not working? The odometer or the speedometer? The book says if the odometer is not working, remove the speedo sensor from the trans and make sure it is clean. If that doesn't help, you can try another trans sensor. If changing the sensor does not fix it, replace the speedometer. If the odometer is working and the speedometer isn't, replace the speedometer.

Let us know...

Thank you for all the suggestions.
The speedo is not working. The odometer works.
Haven't had time to take a good look at front wheel today. I'll keep you posted.

We were just wanting to do some riding soon. The small towns around here are speed traps. Just wanting to be safe.

Thank you for all the suggestions.
The speedo is not working. The odometer works.
Haven't had time to take a good look at front wheel today. I'll keep you posted.

We were just wanting to do some riding soon. The small towns around here are speed traps. Just wanting to be safe.

You can bypass looking at the front wheel. A 94 FLHR does not have a mechanical speedometer. The speedometer sensor is mount on the transmission. If the odometer works and the speedometer doesn't, you will need to replace it.

SledDog,
That is what I was afraid of. Do you have a vendor suggestion for purchase? or, Does this need to be a Harley Dealer item?
Thanks for your input.

Back