free website stats program 88 upgrade vs 96ci upgrade | Harley Davidson Forums

88 upgrade vs 96ci upgrade

67wizard

I have two friends one has a RK 88 ci upgraded to 95ci, the other 96ci upgraded to a 103. The 88 seem just about as strong as the 103 with cams. Is this correct or is something worng with the 103 upgrade?
Thanks for your in put.

hmm.... this is intresting. i guess the only way to know for sure is to dyno before and after. i have a 88 with 21n cams and my bike runs very strong. i had kicked the idea around of installing a 95ci kit,mine is an 06 model and suposed to have better flowing heads so i thought a 95kit to go along with the heads,cams,etc.but after reading your post....not sure

My experience with performance upgrades is that you have to look at the package as a whole. That is, bumping an 88 to 95 will increase your displacement and more than likely add a few ponies, but the issue of whether that turns into neck snapping performance is another matter. A lot of times, just taking a stock motor and letting it breathe better (head work , cams and exhaust) can do more for performance than extra cubes. I recall a guy I knew as a teen who campaigned a '55 Chevy 150 at the local drag strip. He was as competitive, or sometimes even more competitive, as guys running big block motors. His power plant? A little 265 small block. But this baby had everything done to it that was legal in his class (D/Gas). The heads were put on a flow bench, the entire rotating assembly was balanced, the cam was specifically ground for his motor, I mean it just went on and on. The question, IMO, becomes just how much do you want to spend, and just how much horse power do you really need?

I see after some looking and lots of looking the two are almost the same as for power. Checked the Harley book from a friend and compaired the two upgrades.

Back