free website stats program 87 XLH 1100 charging problems | Harley Davidson Forums

87 XLH 1100 charging problems

james013168

I bought the bike in Oct. and found out the charging system was bad along with many other problems. I read up on it and took the left side of the motor off thinking it was a quick cheap fix. Wrong. The charging system is built into the clutch basket, the magnets were cracked or broke. My question is, Can I replace the magnets or do I need to replace the whole clutch basket assembly? I found the assembly online for $400 but was hoping I could get away with just replacing the magnets for much less. Any ideas would help.

I bought the bike in Oct. and found out the charging system was bad along with many other problems. I read up on it and took the left side of the motor off thinking it was a quick cheap fix. Wrong. The charging system is built into the clutch basket, the magnets were cracked or broke. My question is, Can I replace the magnets or do I need to replace the whole clutch basket assembly? I found the assembly online for $400 but was hoping I could get away with just replacing the magnets for much less. Any ideas would help.

I am not familiar with the Sporties' system, but Hobbit may have some thoughts on this. Here is the self help electrical section that may have some info on this issue.

Electrical and Lighting Systems - Harley Davidson Community

and here is an illustrated view of the system. They do not show the magnets separate. My guess is they are glued into the inside of the back of the basket.

1987 Harley Davidson Motorcycle Parts for XLH1100, OEM and Aftermarket at BikeBandit.com

TQ

Thanks TQ. Looks like I'm going to have to replace the hole thing. I found the complete system for $450.00, guess if I'm going to do it, might as well do it right.

Back