free website stats program 87 Sporty Hiccups | Harley Davidson Forums

87 Sporty Hiccups

90FXRS

Contributor
Working on an 87 XLH 1100. Bike has a hiccup at low speed when you roll on the throttle. The carb is stock and has been rebuilt, thoroughly cleaned and new gaskets and seals. Has a RevTech ignition and a set of VH pipes. I have not checked the timing yet, waiting on a plug. V.O.E.S. is new and working properly. Idles great and if you get on it the things never misses a beat.

Any suggestions as to what is causing the hiccup?

Your jet sizes show to be a 52 & 150. Check those. You may need to go to a 54 low speed, if available due to pipe change. Also check to make sure the small rubber plug is in place for the low speed jet, choke closes all the way, and accelerator pump is working. I'm not sure what the rubber plug is suppose to do, maybe someone else does. Not all carbs have it.
tourbox

Thanks Tourbox. I was figuring it needs rejetted. Just not sure what jets to get without taking the thing apart. Not a big deal with the old Keihin butterfly carb. Just the work of rejetting. That's why I like my EFI.

Where did you find that information?
WAP.gif

Now there is some extremely useful information. Thank you again. Just finished a JP order. Got the Andrews accelerator pump upgrade also.

Well a 54 pilot jet took care of the hiccup. Bought a 56 also just in case. Figured it's best to get the carb working properly before I add the Andrews accelerator pump upgrade.
WAP.gif

Back