free website stats program 87 Sportster horn issue. | Harley Davidson Forums

87 Sportster horn issue.

Jeff Klarich

Experienced Member
Contributor
My younger brother has a 87 sportster and his horn quit working, my question is is there a fuse somewhere?
He said he tested it with a test light with the ignition on and button pressed and he has no power at the horn.
Horn works when he jumpers it, could it be the switch?
I advised him to check for power at the horn switch.

Anyone else experience this?

Try to adjust screw for the horn to vibrate. If horn does not vibrate correctly it will not work. Try this first.

If it works when jumpered the relay is probably bad. I believe the relays are located on the fender, under the seat. Square,tin things.

If it works when jumpered the relay is probably bad. I believe the relays are located on the fender, under the seat. Square,tin things.
I'll pass that on to him to check, he did jumper it and it worked. I'm not familiar with how sporty's are setup or if they are fussed.

Unlike Jack and me who use wrenches to fix things, my younger brother just gets a bigger hammer!:eek:

I'll pass that on to him to check, he did jumper it and it worked. I'm not familiar with how sporty's are setup or if they are fussed.

Unlike Jack and me who use wrenches to fix things, my younger brother just gets a bigger hammer!:eek:
LOL, the horn works it is the switch, I talked to him and told him how to jumper the horn to test it he will just end up with a bigger hammer to fix it any way

Pete, he pulled the seat and said there's 4 relay's. any idea which one could be the horn relay? He said it doesn't say in the manual which one is which.

I've been looking for the wiring schematic for an 87 sporty but haven't had any luck.

Gently tap on the relays with the handle of a screwdriver and he may jar relay into operation.....

The 4 relays he see's are not relays. They are circuit breakers. There is no relay for the horn.86-90 XL's have the same wiring for 883,1100, & 1200. There is a black wire and a orange wire coming from the switch button, going inside the headlight. Inside the head light you will find a 6 wire (pin) connector that the orange goes to, that is Power. The black wire goes to a 12 wire (pin) connector, also in the head light. It eventually turns to a Yellow wire at the horn. The 2nd. terminal on the horn goes to ground.

Back