free website stats program 7500 mile oil change. | Harley Davidson Forums

7500 mile oil change.

Davidw2415

I did my 7500 mile oil change today. I switched from Amsoil To Mobil 1 V-twin although the price almost made me consider going back to convetional oil. the last time I priced M-1 early this past summer it was going for about $8 now it's up to $10. When i bought the Amsoil from my local HD dealer for my 5000 mile service it was $9 now it is over $11. the old oil had just a little discoloration to it. I didn't notice any metalic fuzz on the plug. I used Smitty's sugestion of useing a measuring cup to measure the amount removed and added the same amount which but at a little less than half way between the cold fill and hot fill mark on the dipstick. and I found that a deep paint rolling pan works very well to collect the old oil .It fits under the bike very easily and is easy to pour out of. I did ride for about 20 minutes to get it up to opperationg temp before the change. And I got a chance to use one of the torgue Wrenches I got for half price at Sears a couple weeks ago to torgue the drain plug. With the oil, Chrome oil filter and new O-ring it cost me more than it does to change the oil in both my truck and my wifes SUV together. Ohwell!

Dave

The synthetic oil is a very good oil to use in an air cooled engine being they run so hot compared to a liquid cooled engine. The additional cost of the synthetic over the dino oil will pay for itself in engine protection if you get into a situation like stop and go traffic. Take a look at where the dino oil starts to deteriorate. Remember also that the head temps are much higher than you would register on an oil temp gauge in the tank.

i182_OilBreakdown.jpg

Back