free website stats program 71 eg flh | Harley Davidson Forums

71 eg flh

jamin

I have a chance to pick up a 1971 FLH to restore. It has not been on the road for about 15 years. I know it's going to need a lot of work but I was wondering what needed to be done to get the motor run on today's unleaded fuel? Appreciate any help I can get.

I have a chance to pick up a 1971 FLH to restore. It has not been on the road for about 15 years. I know it's going to need a lot of work but I was wondering what needed to be done to get the motor run on today's unleaded fuel? Appreciate any help I can get.

You will need to have new hardened valve seats and carb overhaul for sure. First things first, you need to spin the engine over by hand a few times first to break the glaze built up in the cylinders. If you dont already have a factory manual, I would invest in one. The Shovel head is a pretty easy engine to work on with basic hand tools, Good Luck

I would do some research on hardened valve seats before committing to doing that. That maybe some money not well spent. Research (why hardened valve?)

I would do some research on hardened valve seats before committing to doing that. That maybe some money not well spent. Research (why hardened valve?)

The lead in the gas of days gone by created a buffer when the valves slammed shut, acting as a buffer and building up on the softer valve seats. Your ride you decide, you can add an additive to the gas if you like, but IMO if you plan on keeping your bike for a long time and with this junk gas we have I would opt for newer seats. This is JMO from alot of valve work over the years

Jack knows what he's talking about. Without the lead the exhaust valve will kinda weld itself to the seat when it closes due to the extreme heat of the combustion stroke. Then when it comes back around it will work and do it again and again eventually damage the heads.

I would also do a thorough check of the brakes and brake lines. No matter how fast or slow it moves you need to be able to stop it. Any rubber lines I would replace.

Thanks for all the help guy's. I'll probably pick it up next week. It belongs to a friend who will never ride again. The price is right he's giving it to me if I'll restore and ride it.

Thanks for all the help guy's. I'll probably pick it up next week. It belongs to a friend who will never ride again. The price is right he's giving it to me if I'll restore and ride it.

:s Good Deal, wishing you luck. I have an old factory manual here some where and Shovels are pretty good machines:D

Back