free website stats program 5th Gear Rattle | Harley Davidson Forums

5th Gear Rattle

franka

07 Road King Classic with 17,000 miles when I shift to 5th gear I hear a rattle/chirping sound especially under 3000 RPM? Seems to go away when RPM exceeds 3000? OK in all other gears.

07 Road King Classic with 17,000 miles when I shift to 5th gear I hear a rattle/chirping sound especially under 3000 RPM? Seems to go away when RPM exceeds 3000? OK in all other gears.

franka
This noise JUST Started ??? Wonder, what oil are you using in the tranny??
5th gear is a straight cut gear and they do make a noise but NOT just later, IF like in yours... IMO

get back with a few answers and we'll go from there....

signed....BUBBIE

Like Bubbie says, is it a new sound? Has your rattle just started and is something you never had before?

I have what I think is the same rattle in 5th gear. I have heard this rattle since the day I drove the bike home from the dealership. It has not got any worse or better. Since I heard it since it was new, I never gave it too much thought. It only happens under light load in 5th gear. If you push some torque into the gearbox, the sound goes away.

Yes, just atrted about 1000 miles ago has not gotten worse and as I said when I shift into 4th or exceed 3000 rpm in 5th it goes away

Read the many post on this problem. I would be that the noise was there from the start.Spectro 6 speed tranny oil will help but not completely. Good thing is that you will know that you are in 5th.

Using HD Tranny fluid have thought about Spectro 6 but its very hard to tell if its tranny rattle or valve train chatter

Read the many post on this problem. I would be that the noise was there from the start.Spectro 6 speed tranny oil will help but not completely. Good thing is that you will know that you are in 5th.

I think you are referring to the 5th gear whine. OP is complaining about a rattle. Could be the same thing but I don't think so.

Rattle, chattering, can of marbles etc. You need the IDS added to the bike. I put it on mine and it made the world of difference. Made it an entirely different feel to ride.
The 07 baggers didn't come with it but the 08 came from the factory with it.

Install it, you won't be sorry!:s

IDS Drive System - Harley Davidson Community

Back