free website stats program 4" tach wiring on 2009 FXDC | Harley Davidson Forums

4" tach wiring on 2009 FXDC

parador

I have part 71960-08 which is an 18" wire harness from tach(12 pin packard ) to a 6 pin deutch connector. No problem with the tach end as the packard plugs straight into the tach.

My questions are:

1. Why are there 6 wires in the wire harness?
2. Is there a deutch connector somewhere on the bike harness to 'plug and play'?

Appreciate any help you can give.
Thanks

On '04 + bikes there is a Deutsch (DT06-4S) diagnostic port, usually under the seat area, this can be used to connect a tach into. Pin 2 on the port is Gnd; pin 4 is +12v and pin 3 is the tach sensor.

Thanks for the quick reply.
There is a data link plug in the electrical caddy but at 18" the tach harness won't reach. I suppose I could cut it and splice in some wires.

Thanks for the quick reply.
There is a data link plug in the electrical caddy but at 18" the tach harness won't reach. I suppose I could cut it and splice in some wires.

If you check out the link Glider gave you it pretty much explains everything. Some splice the three wires into the harness at the speedo connection, others splice the Gnd and the +12V into the harness at the speedo and then run the third wire ( tach sensor input ) back to pin #3 at the ECU. The latter seems to be the better option for the reasons given in Gliders link. The diagnostic port is useful to connect a temporary tach to when performing work on the bike that requires RPM's to be monitored,( that is, if you do'nt have a good ear:D). Do'nt really know why there's 6 wires coming from your tach.

Back