free website stats program 25mm Wheel Bearings | Harley Davidson Forums

25mm Wheel Bearings

jwquinn

So I want to replace the 25mm wheel bearings on my 2012 Heritage. Nothing is wrong, it's just that after all the problems I've seen other have, and some friends have had with the OEM bearings, I thought it'd be a good Preventative Maint move. Does anyone have any bearing recommendations? I've seen a Drag Specialties kit that would do the job, but I can't find any reviews on them. Of course I could go with OEM replacements. Anyone have an experience or ideas on this? Thanks

From what I have read over the last few years, KOYO (a Korean company), has bought Torrington and Timkin bearing companies. They still sell some bearings under those names as well as their own. They are a quality company. IMO many Drag Specialty products are made in the low quality areas of Asia. Something in my head says there is also a Quality Canadian bearing co.?

From what I have read over the last few years, KOYO (a Korean company), has bought Torrington and Timkin bearing companies. They still sell some bearings under those names as well as their own. They are a quality company. IMO many Drag Specialty products are made in the low quality areas of Asia. Something in my head says there is also a Quality Canadian bearing co.?

+1, Timken bearings have been around for a long time and have put out a quality product.

SKS has them; good quality and reasonable price.
WAP.gif

Geezer here on the Forum has a part number for double lipped sealed bearings, try a PM to him:D

The bearings I've been using are the NTN Formula 6205-1B. They have a double lipped blue seal and are made for cold weather, high water uses, namely snowmobile suspension wheels. They're rated for -50 to 175 degree F and 3500rpm. They are made in the US.

I gave Hoople a couple of them and he took a new one apart. He said it was right full of grease, much more than other 6205's or the OEM bearings. He said under a microscope it was easy to see the seals would be much better at keeping water out. NTN told me not to run bearings in or near water but if I had to, this was the bearing to use. They thought they would be very good motorcycle wheel bearings. I've been buying them at our local John Deere dealer here for $7.85.

6205 is a standard bearing but it comes in various configurations. A 2RS seal is a non-contact seal and will easily let water go past itself. Within the NTN line, the LL means a seal on both sides of the bearing and the U designates a contact seal. Within NTN, U seals will be orange and a B seal will be black. I use the 6205LLU.

Back