free website stats program 23,000 miles.. Is it OK to switch to synthetic oil? | Harley Davidson Forums

23,000 miles.. Is it OK to switch to synthetic oil?

finsrup

Hello all I have yet another oil question. I just purchased a 2004 FLHT with 23K on it. According to the original owner he had always used HD 360 oil and I am an Amsoil fan so I wanted to switch. Anybody have or heard of a problem or potential problem with switching oil types. Thanks in advance for any help or comments. I love this forum and find it very helpful. This is my first Harley and used advice in this forum to change rear brake pads yesterday. It has a stock TC88 and I was also wondering what some common upgrades. Currently the bike has a K&N air filter, Rush exhaust (a little loud for my taste) and that is about it.

Thanks.

syth would be fine i would also ask if the cam tensioners have been changed and if not look into it

Won't be hard to find the recommendations on syn in the transmission also. Do check those cam tensioners. You do not want that little guy coming apart while you are running down the road.

Hello all I have yet another oil question. I just purchased a 2004 FLHT with 23K on it. According to the original owner he had always used HD 360 oil and I am an Amsoil fan so I wanted to switch. Anybody have or heard of a problem or potential problem with switching oil types. Thanks in advance for any help or comments. I love this forum and find it very helpful. This is my first Harley and used advice in this forum to change rear brake pads yesterday. It has a stock TC88 and I was also wondering what some common upgrades. Currently the bike has a K&N air filter, Rush exhaust (a little loud for my taste) and that is about it.

Thanks.
The oil, yes I changed to syn at 28000 miles do the tranny as well, it'll shift much better, as for upgrades you have K&N and slip ons you need to give it more fuel, do a search on TFI, it's cheap and easy to install and works great. Good luck:newsmile011:

Back