free website stats program 2012 softail slim, doesnt idle till i come to a complete stop | Harley Davidson Forums

2012 softail slim, doesnt idle till i come to a complete stop

wilky181

This happens about 50% of the time. If im coasting and pull in the clutch it idles between 1100 -1250 rpm's and then sometimes it idles correctly around 1000 when im coasting. If it is idleing high, let's say when im coasting to a stop sign, when i come to a complete stop it drops down to 1000 everytime. Is this normal? Im also talking about a motor that is up to temp.

Also, if it was my 2012 bike w/warranty, doesn't hurt to take bike in for service check. Why not get the fix for free vs. paying later when warranty runs out...

You can have it checked but it is probably nothing to worry about. It is an ECM firmware strategy to help reduce emissions. Anything that would cause a "loading up" of hydrocarbons in the exhaust (seen by O2 sensor), will have a slower settling effect on the idle. It allows additional oxygen to the fuel mix to help with complete combustion. It is much easier to hide it when the bike is in motion (a VSS signal). Since it is based on the amount of loading up the exhaust has, the rpm amount can vary.

I have never tried it but a quick test would be to disable the VSS signal. The RPM would probably fall quickly to idle target speed, almost to the point of the engine stalling in some cases.

Bingo! emissions is exactly what was on my mind. I talked to another guy with an 2012 superglide and he said his was doing the same thing. Where do i find this vss signal so i can disconnect it?

When you are coming to a stop, the bikes brain will take care of the idle.
IF you Keep it in gear and clutch out until you stop. The idle will still be high but will lower sooner.

It isn't Daddy's Old 60's bike OR a lawnmower motor so don't expect the same. These are very sophisticated pieces of machinery and the things riders don't understand ARE the reasoning and technology of them.:small3d031:

That being said....They All Do IT.:D

signed....BUBBIE

Bingo! emissions is exactly what was on my mind. I talked to another guy with an 2012 superglide and he said his was doing the same thing. Where do i find this vss signal so i can disconnect it?

You would not want to do that, this is all tied in to the ECM and the firmware loaded in the memorey

I noticed the same thing on my Slim. Had my 1000 mile service done today, and when I asked the tech about it he essentially said the same as above. It is not only normal but also by design.

Also Sodomy

Back