free website stats program 2011 48 Hesitating? | Harley Davidson Forums

2011 48 Hesitating?

wikdj

I have a 2011 48 with 22k miles on it (daily rider). Recently it has started to hesitate while riding. Typically it is when I am trying to maintain speed. If I am accelerating it seems fine. But if I maintain speed, especially in lower gears with low throttle it's struggling. I THINK I have noticed that it also seems to be aggravated when going over bumps.

I recently got a new fuel filter, changed the plugs, changed the oil, and ran some seafoam with a tank of gas.

I took it to the dealership today to check the battery, it was running a steady 13 volts. I ran the diagnostic on it (on the speedo) and everything showed up as "no rSP" except under S which showed PN 68924-07. I looked it up and says that is the Smart System Security Module. IF that was bad, would it be causing this problem?

and everything showed up as "no rSP"

That shouldn't happen. If you ran diagnostics with the RUN switch in the Kill position, that will happen.
Run diags with switch in RUN position.

Is the bike bone stock or did you download a map, add a black box, etc. Set of pipes, stage 1 ?

That shouldn't happen. If you ran diagnostics with the RUN switch in the Kill position, that will happen.
Run diags with switch in RUN position.

Is the bike bone stock or did you download a map, add a black box, etc. Set of pipes, stage 1 ?

It has V&H Short Shots, sport tuner (Screamin Eagle), and high airflow intake.

Just tried it again, this time it was in the Run position. This time it showed "none" on everything but also showed:

P PN 32152-07C
S PN 68924-07
SP PN 67037-08
T no rSP
B no rSP

Are those part numbers just showing the part that is being diagnosed or are they saying something is wrong with that part?

Are those part numbers just showing the part that is being diagnosed

That's exactly what it is.

P=ECM
S=TSM/TSSM
SP= Speedo
t=Tachometer
b=ABS codes

If you don't have ABS or a Tach you should see no response or no rSP
The others are communicating but have no codes, so you see "none"

That's exactly what it is.

P=ECM
S=TSM/TSSM
SP= Speedo
t=Tachometer
b=ABS codes

If you don't have ABS or a Tach you should see no response or no rSP
The others are communicating but have no codes, so you see "none"

Well if it's not throwing any codes, then I guess that's a good thing. That kinda narrows it down a bit. I'm hoping its a loose connection on a battery cable.

Be aware that the diagnostics (ability to catch a problem and throw a code) are very limited and some items such as low fuel pump pressure have no DTC's at all. You could have a terrible cruise engine surge caused by low pressure and the diagnostic are near worthless.

You mentioned you have an SE "Sport" Tuner. Did you really mean Pro Super Tuner? If so, you should have the dongle (attachment). Get yourself the cables and software and view the ECM data stream live.

Attachments

• Super_Tuner.pdf
    112 KB · Views: 6
I've got the one that came with the orange box that has the plug ins on it.

I just pulled the battery and tightened the negative battery cable attachment at the battery. It was kinda loose. Took the bike out and I didn't notice the hesitation as much. Still a little bit in there, but I'm on kinda bumpy roads and i'm told the sporty engines tend to get a bit finicky as it is.

Any other thoughts on what might be next? Good battery, tightened cable.....

Any other thoughts on what might be next?

Hard to say. Based on a few word description of your problem (a struggling hesitation),,,that list would be way too long to be of any use..

Not that I think this is your problem, but a constant 13 volts at both idle & high RPM is way too low for a late model 3 phase charging system. I would have told the dealership tech that rounding off a charging voltage to the nearest volt is really useless information.
But then again, I have been banded from talking to the techs at my local dealership.:)

HAHAHA!!!

I was standing there when they had the meter on it, it was over 13, I just rounded it off in the description.

The dealership put it on the dyno today and checked it out. The tech richened up the mix a little. He said to run it around a bit and come back to him. He wants to check it one step at a time. Nice to come across a tech who has a plan. Electrical has pretty much been checked out, now the mixture. He said if ti doesn't clear up he's going to play with the timing. The dyno computer showed no real issues. Best part......I'm not getting charged for it.

Back