free website stats program 2009 Ultra Trans | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Ultra Trans

kt23287

Am I nuts to consider swapping my 09 UC 5th gear with the 2010 gear. Have heard HD fixed the 5th gear noise in 2010. Can I just swap the gears or need to go to new tranny altogether

Welcome from south bend in, sorry i dont know called the local dealer had no idea eather i use spectro platium or bell ray 90-140 gear oil much quieter with these....they did say 6 hour to enter trany ..shop work..

From what I understand, the 2010 gear is not compatable with the 2009 gear set. I thought about doing that also, so I just put redline shock proof into the trans to quiet down the gear noise.
Craig

Thanks to all, I had more 5th gear noise in my 07 Ultra, and its less in the 09. I am running the Bell Ray and may try something else. Its not a huge deal right now, just the principal of the thing, I get the 09 and the fix comes in 2010. Thanks anyway......pretty cold here - 20's and the helmet helps with the cold and the noise.......maybe in spring I will be more interested in a real fix.
Keith

Thanks to all, I had more 5th gear noise in my 07 Ultra, and its less in the 09. I am running the Bell Ray and may try something else. Its not a huge deal right now, just the principal of the thing, I get the 09 and the fix comes in 2010. Thanks anyway......pretty cold here - 20's and the helmet helps with the cold and the noise.......maybe in spring I will be more interested in a real fix.
Keith

Just the nature of a continually evolving product - like all of us who bought 2008 touring models only to spend the next year reading rave reviews of the new frame on the 2009 models!

I use the Spectro for 6 speeds and hardly notice the 5th gear whine at all - that's what your stereo volume is for!!!

This is what harley says in their 2010 Harley-Davidson New Model and Technical Information
Upgrading to helical 5th is Not Retrofitable
–Results of upgrading to the helical 5th gear
•Vehicle Speed slower than indicated by speedometer
•The 6thgear light may not function correctly
•No plan for new calibration
I would try Spectro 6 speed trans fluid or Redline SP, it will help quite it down.

I don't get this gear noise and never have, either it's there and I don't notice due to it still being quieter than a shaft driven bike, now they whine or at least mine did :)
WAP.gif

Could it be that the European Harley's use a different gear set due to regulations?

I notice the 5th gear whine. Fortunately, it doesn't bother me.

Must have the tunes cranked too much! :p

I also put spectro in mine after the first 100 miles, I really have to TRY and listen for it if I want to hear it.

Back