2009 Ultra Trans

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by kt23287, Jan 8, 2010.

1. kt23287

kt23287 Member

Am I nuts to consider swapping my 09 UC 5th gear with the 2010 gear. Have heard HD fixed the 5th gear noise in 2010. Can I just swap the gears or need to go to new tranny altogether

2. ultrat

ultrat Senior Member Contributor

Welcome from south bend in, sorry i dont know called the local dealer had no idea eather i use spectro platium or bell ray 90-140 gear oil much quieter with these....they did say 6 hour to enter trany ..shop work..

3. ccraig

ccraig Member

From what I understand, the 2010 gear is not compatable with the 2009 gear set. I thought about doing that also, so I just put redline shock proof into the trans to quiet down the gear noise.
    Craig

4. kt23287

kt23287 Member

Thanks to all, I had more 5th gear noise in my 07 Ultra, and its less in the 09. I am running the Bell Ray and may try something else. Its not a huge deal right now, just the principal of the thing, I get the 09 and the fix comes in 2010. Thanks anyway......pretty cold here - 20's and the helmet helps with the cold and the noise.......maybe in spring I will be more interested in a real fix.
    Keith

5. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Just the nature of a continually evolving product - like all of us who bought 2008 touring models only to spend the next year reading rave reviews of the new frame on the 2009 models!

I use the Spectro for 6 speeds and hardly notice the 5th gear whine at all - that's what your stereo volume is for!!!

6. Chopper

Chopper Senior Member

This is what harley says in their 2010 Harley-Davidson New Model and Technical Information
    Upgrading to helical 5th is Not Retrofitable
    –Results of upgrading to the helical 5th gear
    •Vehicle Speed slower than indicated by speedometer
    •The 6thgear light may not function correctly
    •No plan for new calibration
    I would try Spectro 6 speed trans fluid or Redline SP, it will help quite it down.

7. ccraig

ccraig Member

Could it be that the European Harley's use a different gear set due to regulations?

8. Skratch

Skratch Active Member

I notice the 5th gear whine. Fortunately, it doesn't bother me.

Must have the tunes cranked too much! :p

9. sharpscuba

sharpscuba Banned

Spectro and some good tunes is all it takes for my 07classic.

10. Trek

Trek Junior Member

I also put spectro in mine after the first 100 miles, I really have to TRY and listen for it if I want to hear it.