free website stats program 2009 Ultra Steering Head Grease | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Ultra Steering Head Grease

Is there an issue with grease only coming out the bottom and not the top. It seems like when I did it it came out the bottom and none from the top. :newsmile093:

Is there an issue with grease only coming out the bottom and not the top. It seems like when I did it it came out the bottom and none from the top. :newsmile093:

There was a thread on here somewhere that talked about wrapping a shoelace around the bottom bearing so as to force the grease out the top bearing.

the shoelace trick sounds like it just might work to reduce the cleanup of excess grease coming out the bottom. When greasing mine I had the front of the bike in the air so there was no pressure on the bearings , that might be why the grease came out of both at the same time!?

I was able to grease the neck on my 09 SG no problem...but to do my buddy's 08 Ultra Classic - not enough room to access the zerc fitting. I need to change the zerk fitting to a 90 deg one like mentioned earlier and the size is suppose to be 1/4"x24. I read on another sight that the fitting is actually metric - 6mm??? Does anyone know for sure what it is? I guess I could just get a RT angle coupler for the grease gun and not worry about it.

I actually took the factory fitting out and took it to an auto parts store. We determined the thread and I bought the right replacement 90 degree fitting. It was a 1/4 x 28.

I actually took the factory fitting out and took it to an auto parts store. We determined the thread and I bought the right replacement 90 degree fitting. It was a 1/4 x 28.

I meant 1/4"x28 not 24...realized my mistake after I posted. Thank you for verifing that it is SAE and not metric.

Back