free website stats program 2009 ultra frame rust | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 ultra frame rust

boydbros

My 2009 Ultra has rust spots on left front of frame where crash bar and floorboard attach . anyone else have this problem? What should I do?

Thanks RB

Take it back to the dealer and tell them you want a rep to look at it. Chances are like Hill said above, there may be a crack there causing the rust.

While I agree that these kinds of issues are disappointing at best and downright aggravating at times, In general I think the MOCO does a resonable job at quality control. Let's face facts. These are complex machines and are subject to a lot of harsh conditions and tons of vibration from the road and the motor. I am not trying to defend cases of shoddy workmanship, but I think it's unrealistic to think that just because we paid alot of money for our rides that we have the right to expect perfection. Look at Ferrari. They still have breakdowns. As long as the MOCO stands behind their product and warranties the repairs, I would will continue to by the product. Just my 2 cents (well maybe a nickels) worth.

Last edited:
There is a hole (drain hole?) in the swing arm of the touring bikes right above the plastic (on my RK) belt guard. There's a couple of small screws holding the guard. Drop the belt guard and you can see the drain hole in the swing arm but no hole in the belt guard. Some guys have taken their bikes to the dealer to fix this. If you ride in a lot of rain, the swing arm can get water into it from a hole in the front of the swing arm. Apparently water gets in through the front hole and can't drain out very well as the guard is pretty tight against the drain hole. But after a while rust develops and then dribbles on the floor beneath the bike.

It never rains here in So Cal so I looked at mine and no rust. But to be pro-active I drilled a small tapered hole in the plastic belt guard where the drain hole is. Tapered so the hole next to the frame is larger than the hole where it exits the guard ~1/16". Water could get in there from the belt if the hole is too large IMHO.

I could've taken it to the dealer for the fix but those guys are not as careful as I am and I didn't want them to just drill a hole through both the guard and the swing arm. Not saying they would do that, I just didn't want to chance it. Years ago my wife bought me a real 'spensive racing bicycle. The moron at the bike shop talked her into adding a kick stand????? on a racing bike????? anyway, he crushed the left lower frame tube and when I brought it back to show him, he couldn't figure out what the big deal was. It's tough to find craftsmen any more.

If there is no crack in the powder coating, I would suggest something simliar to frame saver or amsoil heavy duty metal protector. Google it I don't have the post counts to post a link.

I use it this in all the bolt holes that are not used and then put a plastic plug in it. I would suggest pulling the engine guard, cleaning the hole out and then once you start the bolt with some blue loctite on it, before the gap is closed between the frame and engine guard spray some of this in there. Let it sit and then torque everything down. On the other side where the bolt starts to stick through the frame, spray some more of the stuff on there also.

I also sprayed this up into my swingarm (that held water) and I see no more rust problems in that area... pretty much anywhere I see rust start on the frame I get the spray out. It sticks to the metal.

Back